Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've recently taken my car for a service and the garage spotted a slight misting of oil on the PAS pipes. I want to replace them so I was wondering if they're doable for the average Sunday mechanics warrior or if they're a pig of a job (ie: seized stuff, inaccessible parts, etc..)

I remember doing my old TT PAS pipes on the drive back in the day and lost the will to live halfway through the process, as it was really hard to get to some parts (I really struggled to completely undo the secondary air injection pump bracket, for example)

If not, I already got some quotes around the £310-£360 mark parts + labour all inclusive. The expensive thing is the pipes, at £240.

Any advice will be much appreciated! Many thanks! :thumbu p:

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
The original pipes fitted to the 156 are not protected by a black plastic coating, so they tend to leak with age. When I replaced mine the new pipes now have a black coating and should last! When you get yours, make sure they look like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-147-1-9-16V-JTD-New-Genuine-Power-Steering-Pipes-Hoses-50501683-/182787610313?hash=item2a8efd96c9:g:YQkAAOxye2lSVusL

I was advised the sub frame needs to come off so a garage did the work. Your quote of around £360 including everything sounds good -perhaps they are able to do the job without removing the sub frame?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original pipes fitted to the 156 are not protected by a black plastic coating, so they tend to leak with age. When I replaced mine the new pipes now have a black coating and should last! When you get yours, make sure they look like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-147-1-9-16V-JTD-New-Genuine-Power-Steering-Pipes-Hoses-50501683-/182787610313?hash=item2a8efd96c9:g:YQkAAOxye2lSVusL

I was advised the sub frame needs to come off so a garage did the work. Your quote of around £360 including everything sounds good -perhaps they are able to do the job without removing the sub frame?
Thank you for your reply and link! Subframe off? Garage it is...
I'm going to check with the garage if they're happy with me supplying the parts. If so, I will use the link you provided. That will hopefully save me a few pounds so thanks a lot! :)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts