Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My off side rear shock absorber broke today. The cup that holds the bottom of the spring snapped and then the spring pushed it down onto the tyre.
I carried on driving a bit as there was no hard shoulder. By the time I got to a slip road the rear tyre was on fire but still inflated. I had to put it out with my lunch water bottle. Very exciting.

Anyway I think the shocks where probably original but the springs are eibach pro and only 3 years old. I wonder if the stiffer springs are a bad combination with OEM shocks. I thought the ride was good and low always looks cool but I've not heard of this fail before.

Anyone else had any experience of this fail? I thought it was worth sharing.

I now need a new tyre and new shocks either side. I'd always planned to get some b4 bilsteins but I don't think I can do this job myself and the cost are adding up. Looks like I'm going to go for cheap shocks and budget tyres and keep the springs.

It will still be low though so all is good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had that same failure 1 week before Christmas in my 147 (without the fire).
My suspension was completely stock, it seems the spring seat is a water trap and rusts.
I chose to replace/upgrade all 4 corners and do it myself, but regretted that decision about 3 days into trying to take it apart! It is much better now it's done though

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had that same failure 1 week before Christmas in my 147 (without the fire).
My suspension was completely stock, it seems the spring seat is a water trap and rusts.
I chose to replace/upgrade all 4 corners and do it myself, but regretted that decision about 3 days into trying to take it apart! It is much better now it's done though
So maybe not caused by combining lowering springs with oem shocks.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Lots of cases of the spring platforms failing over the years, the water sits in them and corrodes them until they give.

Probably would have happened with the standard springs anyway.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read so many suspension threads and never heard of this fail. Seems obvious now when you think of the pressure it contains. I assumed it was a broken spring until I took the wheel off and had a good poke around.

·
Registered
819 Posts
My off side rear shock absorber broke today. The cup that holds the bottom of the spring snapped and then the spring pushed it down onto the tyre.
I carried on driving a bit as there was no hard shoulder. By the time I got to a slip road the rear tyre was on fire but still inflated. I had to put it out with my lunch water bottle. Very exciting.

Anyway I think the shocks where probably original but the springs are eibach pro and only 3 years old. I wonder if the stiffer springs are a bad combination with OEM shocks. I thought the ride was good and low always looks cool but I've not heard of this fail before.

Anyone else had any experience of this fail? I thought it was worth sharing.

I now need a new tyre and new shocks either side. I'd always planned to get some b4 bilsteins but I don't think I can do this job myself and the cost are adding up. Looks like I'm going to go for cheap shocks and budget tyres and keep the springs.

It will still be low though so all is good.
Thanks for the warning. Mine are 12 years old - time to check them I think. No doubt they rust just where the MOT inspectors can't see it.

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
This is getting really common now as these cars get older, must have heard it half a dozen times in the last year. New shocks time, it'll drive loads better on them too.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
N/S/R failed last year and O/S/R wasn't far off ... 16 years wasn't bad ...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know where to purchase the long bolt (about 250mm) and nut that runs parallel to the car and holds the lower part of the shock absorber? Sorry don't know what it's called. I can only find ridiculously priced items with no nut and a hefty delivery charge.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Those long bolts are from memory 12.9 grade high tensile bolts. They carry the load for the suspension over a fair length.
As said alfaworkshop do them and a local engineering shop might be able to find them for you but they are not something you want to take a chance on.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Seems strange they've not sold with a nut.
That's Alfa ... :)

Plus the idea is you should really replaced the nut every time it comes off (or every other time at least as the nylok wears). I figured with the torque and a drop of Loctite they wouldn't go anywhere! I have seen bent bolts though!!

You could also try EB Spares ... I can't remember whether I got mine from them or the dealers as I bought all new rear suspension bolts, nut and washers when I replaced the transverse arms and the hub bushes (powerflex!)

·
Registered
842 Posts
I couldn't see any of those bolts on either of shop4parts or ebspares websites although I might have missed them.

If you buy them check the thread pitch they may not be standard pitch m12 but one of the m12 fine threads. Sorry can't recall at the moment if they are or not.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Phil @ AlfaShop can probably order them in if not in his vast stocks!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bolts have arrived from ebspares. Fingers crossed the nuts aren't another part that requires searching for. I really need my car back as I'm in a rental at the moment and I can't smoke in it!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
You just need an M12 fine nyloc nut. Will be available from any fastener supplies shop for a few pence each. They could probably do the long bolt for you as well, but the exact length might be tricky.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Final parts list replaced:
Shocks
Bolts
Arms
1 caliper
1 bearing
1 disc cover
1 tyre

I'm fairly sure all the parts replaced were original (except the tyre). If it hadn't been an unplanned garage visit I think I'd have thought about upgrading the roll bar and shocks at a service time. Advice for others who have original shocks on 10 year plus car is sort the rear suspension out before it breaks and ruins a tyre and causes you major inconvenience!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts