Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post hope you guys can give some help.
I have a 2003 2,4 10v jtd my temp gauge only works when i idle the car, I recently flushed and changed the coolant still no better, I get heat in the cab which seems OK all the time but the gauge never moves when driving.

on testing in the garage I can get the temp gauge up to approx 95 when the fan then kicks in and temp drops

what could this be stat or sensor or something else?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry to jump in to the thread. Every time I insert the key, the engine temperature amber warning light in the odometer flashes. It is only getting longer by the day so I need to wait for a minute or so before I could start the engine.
Could this be a temperature sensor of any kind? Or a thermostat? Can I find whats wrong using fiat ECuScan reader plugged in?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If it flashes and then goes out it is not a problem - infact you should see all the warning lights flash as you turn the key - this is to confirm that they are working.

If it is taking longer to go then it could be that the sensor is on the way out or the connection plugs need cleaning up - they are replacable seperatly to the stat.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
@ OP. Your stat is buggered. Very common with alfas. Makes them run cold. If anything it's a blessing in diguise. You wouldn't want it to fail shut now would you. Only cure is to replace ityour problems will be solved along with improved MPG.
@Stealth. The stat is on the gearbox end of the engine. Look at your battery and then look between the gap to the left of the battery and engine cover. You'll see a pipe from the rad going to the stat. The connectors never play up. BTW THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR CAR STOP WORRYING. ;) The light comes on and goes out. perfectly normal. If FEcuS is showing up nothing either then this is probably a hint it's fine :lol: :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Joss, thanks. thats a bold diagnosis. Is it easy to replace the thermostat in JTDs?
Yep reletively simple but if you car runs above the marker left of 90 on the temp gauge then yours is working correctly. If you do want to change the stat. The method is as follows.

1. Undertray off (you'll need torx to get it off)
2. Take header tank cap off.
3. Undo lower rad hose and let water out. (passenger side)
4. Undo engine cover (3x 10m)
5. Under upper turbo hose (screwdriver)
6. Take of battery connections (10mm)
7. Undo battery clamp (13mm)
8. Lift out battery
9. Undo all three hoses connected to the stat
10. unplug temp sender plug
11. undo 2 6mm allen bolts holding stat on.
12. Have a cup of tea before reassmbling :)

NB. There is a bleed screw on the top of the rad on the back on the left hand side as you look at the front of the car. (plastic) undo this before filling the header tank back up. Helps fill the rad and get air out of teh system. When it comes out the top of the rad put the bleed screw back in. Run teh car up with blowers on full with hight heat and header tank cap off. Fill then put cap on. Go for a drive. Check level next day and top up accordingly :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts