Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New to the forum to try and get some ideas as to why my 159jtd refuses to start, It has the eml on but cant get it to a garage to get the codes read as i live in the sticks.
The car is an 03 and has been pretty perfect until the other day when it refused to start and i'm worried it could be the fuel pump ? Do they go on these or could it be something less expensive like the cps .. ?
Any help would be grafefully received

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It turns over it just wont fire up, Battery and the starter motor are fine, it just wont start and the eml is on ..
Ive been searching forums and have realised that i'll have to clean egr, map sensors, check and clean relays and their connections then I'll have to change the cps and the cam sensor.
It must be a sensor or fuel pump as the eml is on .. ?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
It turns over it just wont fire up, Battery and the starter motor are fine, it just wont start and the eml is on ..
Ive been searching forums and have realised that i'll have to clean egr, map sensors, check and clean relays and their connections then I'll have to change the cps and the cam sensor.
It must be a sensor or fuel pump as the eml is on .. ?
Could be one of a thousand things turning the EML on, so that's not much to go on without getting the error codes read.

Got fuel in the tank?

You could try popping off the fuel line to the fuel filter (quick release coupling), turn the ignition to MAR and see if you're getting fuel fed from the tank... The in-tank fuel sender pump fires up when the ignition is on so that will at least rule that in/out - if you're not getting any fuel, there's a pump cutoff switch in the passengers side footwell.. Or you could be out of fuel! When I lost all my fuel whilst driving (leak in the fuel system), the engine cut out, and the dash was showing half a tank left... The tank was completely empty though, and I'd lost about 30 litres of fuel on the M5... If you can hear the pump gurgling, get some fuel in there and try again..

Oh and if you keep cranking with no start, the battery will give up... Have a jump pack or a charger handy for when it does eventually!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Firstly many thanks in the reply ..
Had a look at the car today, couldnt hear the pump so decided to have it out and i dont know whats gone on but it 'seems' to have got hot and the outer plastic which the 2 rods slide up and down in had melts and broke .. (?) Or am i wrong ...?
The other side is bent which i havent caused by removal because i took the seats out removed the black plate and there was plenty of room so I have no idea how this has happened ..
Anyway I've put power to the pump and it works throwing out the residue fuel which was left in it so tomorrow once the battery is charged I'll put it back in, filling with diesel and prime the engine and with a full battery im hoping it'll start .. In the meantime ive ordered a 2nd hand 1 ..

Attachments

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still wont start.
The fuel sender is working, there's fuel spurting out at the fuel filter, Ive cleaned relay connections and It wont start.
Must it be the fuel pump ?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Still wont start.
The fuel sender is working, there's fuel spurting out at the fuel filter, Ive cleaned relay connections and It wont start.
Must it be the fuel pump ?
You've done the easy diagnosis and found nothing, time to get the codes read...

Diesel engines are simple. If they're getting fuel, air, and compression, they'll go. They might be lumpy, sound rough as hell, smoke like a chimney, but they'll go.

If you're getting fuel up to the HP pump (you've shown that by seeing it get sent up to the fuel filter), and the engine is cranking over normally, that would indicate fuel isn't getting into the cylinders.

Why that is could be a number of reasons... Could be as simple as the crank position sensor failing to tell the ECU when to squirt the fuel in. No fuel = no bangs. Get a diagnostic scan and go from there...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reading on another 156 thread
I unplugged the wire beneath the fuel filter, i undid the large left hand side rubber pipe to the inlet manifold and sprayed easy start and it started, i ran it for 5 minutes then connected the wire to the underneath the fuel filter, it ran for another 5 minutes before cutting out when i tightened the jubilee clip for the inlet manifold pipe so air starvation ? egr ?
Worryingly the inlet manifold has a large amount of oil inside so I'll have to have that out and cleaned.
I'm 20 miles in the sticks so cant just whip it down to have the codes read, i could have a Mechanic out to read the codes but id rather ask others and eliminate possibilities before splashing out, Previously i had a Saab 9-3 which you on had to sneeze a the ruddy thing would go into limp mode and a £30 a time to read n fix it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I'm 20 miles in the sticks so cant just whip it down to have the codes read, i could have a Mechanic out to read the codes but id rather ask others and eliminate possibilities before splashing out, Previously i had a Saab 9-3 which you on had to sneeze a the ruddy thing would go into limp mode and a £30 a time to read n fix it.
Buy a Bluetooth OBD/ELM adapter.. £5-10 and you've got the basic functionality with a smartphone/laptop to at least connect to the ECU and pick up the codes!

Try take the lower boost hose off and see if you get floods of the black-stuff out down there...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gone back to it and did everything i did before but it wont start, This time i cant hear the pump in the tank so I'll wait till my replacement arrives and we'll start again, in the mean time i'll try and clean things and report back
Sincerely, many thanks for the help and dont go too far away. :thumbup:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you checked the anti shudder flap at the inlet to the manifold isn't stuck closed ?
The flap is open and moves freely though rubbing my finger around the inside the inlet manifold leaves oil dripping from off my finger ..

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went back to it and removed the egr which the spring is moving freely, After a lot of turning over it started but it sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders the engine is really Chugging, i revved it which didnt seem a problem but back to idle and It chuggs but there's no excessive smoke from the back ...
I have a pit in the garage and wanted to turn it round to get the front over the pit but within 3'ish minutes of it starting it cut out again and then refused to start. On my Saab 9-3 i had 2 pumps fail with 1 over fueling producing lots of black smoke and the other had 'an internal pump rattle' making it cut out at anytime and being extremely hard to start but they are a more complicated and very delicate pump and the achilles heel of the 2.2 Saab.
Regards Turbo failing, Again on a Saab forum someone had the oil seal go on the turbo oil side and the whole inlet manifold and intercooler filled with oil making the engine revvs uncontrollablly with plumes of black smoke, but i dont have any excessive smoke from the rear .. (?) Although it is something to concider but why would it keep cutting out ?
I'll take the lower boost hose off tomorrow and see how we go :thumbup:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Cleaned the MAP AND MAF sensors and it fired straightaway, it's been running for 10 minutes so far and not cut out.

Now what is , Motor Contol system Failure. ?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Cleaned the MAP AND MAF sensors and it fired straightaway, it's been running for 10 minutes so far and not cut out.

Now what is , Motor Contol system Failure. ?

Just a warning set of words, to say an error code has been generated.
Sometimes the car needs 3 or 4 on/offs of the engine to clear any codes that have actually been fixed.

What did you clean the maf with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cleaned it with petrol n a paint brush, I did the same on my Saab and never had a problem although others claim it shouldnt be used.
The car still seems to be lumpy on idle so as a precaution ive ordered a CPS which should arrive next week and then I'll see how it is ..

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can anyone tell me where exactly the D4b connection is, it's behind the inlet manifold but .. where .. ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts