Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the air pressure in the 2"-wide rubber induction hose would be, just where it enters the engine, on a 156 1.9JTD?

Would it be more than atmospheric, less than amospheric, how many Bar roughly?

I guess in a n/a petrol engine it would be less than atmospheric because the air is being sucked in, but how about a turbodiesel? And at different revs, down low and up at the top end on full turbo boost?

·
Vendor
47,144 Posts
It'll be more than 2 bar when on boost (1 bar atmospheric + 1.x bar boost), not sure when you back off the throttle, maybe less than 1 bar?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
on a 16/20v you may see 1.6bar (above atmos.) on overboost dropping to 1.3ish - stock.

the old 10v, 1.3 down to 1.1/1.2 stock.

tuned, up to 2.6bar in overboost, dropping to whatever the map sensor fitted can handle - 1.5/2bar.

Fit a boost gauge for 25quid?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must confess, the reason I wanted to know was that I wanted to put in some Powerboost spray (as suggested by Pud) - but I couldn't see a straightforward way with the way the pipework was, leading into the engine. So I pierced the induction hose with a tiny hole, about 5" before it enters the engine, and pushed in the little extension pipe to squirt the Powerboost foam in.

After going through the treatment process, I simply cleaned the rubber around the 1mm hole, roughened it with a little sandpaper and applied a quality puncture patch from my racing bike maintenance kit, now firmly vulcanised on - voila! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any enormous pressure going on that might blow it off :lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
That is the funniest thing I've heard all day :lol: :lol: ... how was the power boost??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to have entertained you Chris! :D

If there was any difference, it was subtle - the engine seemed a little smoother. I bought my car about 3 weeks ago with 40,000 on the clock and just wanted to have her workings as clean as possible before this morning's remap. I had no reason to think she was particularly clogged up, I just figured it was worth doing for £20, just in case.

Quite a bit of smoke came out of the exhaust while doing the treatment, but that could have been the Powerboost foam itself of course, as it was passed through the engine and burned.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I'm wondering if it will do anything for my MCSF, Adie is pretty convinced that my turbo is under spinning on start up thus bringing up the error, his solution is a new turbo (which would definitely fix it), but I was wondering if it was just a bit dirty in there ... and whether the powerboost would clean it out ...

... although since I took it in for it's MOT and Adie cleared the errors using Examiner it hasn't come back since (touch wood)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts