Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fan belt squeek from my 2.4 jtd Mjet. Normally I would have said fan belt but reading the threads on this forum could it be a tensione:eek:r or some sort?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Could certainly be the tensioner. The auxillary (fan) belt tensioner on mine was replaced by the previous owner at 90,000 miles due to squeeling on start up. Thats the expensive one! However, may also be a failing water pump or tensioner on the timing belt which needs doing ASAP. If the car is anywhere near due a timing belt then its worth getting everything stripped off and sorted,

Keith

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Probably either the tensioner or one of the idlers.

Best to get it seen to resonable soon - if the aux belt lets go it can tangle in the Cam belt which could turn expensive, but as keith says if the cam belt is due soon bite the bullet and get the lot done (including waterpump) all at the same time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hold on...................before going into the realms of rebuilding your engine :)

If it squeaks at start up and then goes away when revved, then usually the tensioner is stuck/seized.

This can be removed and repaired quite easily with some care and attention.

http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21303&KW= tensioner

Remember to replace the belt at the same time though.

To make sure its not anything on the timing belt run,
like the water pump belt tensioner or pulleys,
remove the axillary belt and run the engine, if all is quiet
then its definitely on the auxiliary belt run.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine was sqeaking when i got it in january. at first it went away after warming up but a week later it was nearly constant. A new aux belt and not a sqeak since.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just looked through the history and the belts and tensioners (aux and cam) were done at 60k about 14k miles ago. Cost a small fortune.

I will get a new aux belt and see what happens. also can you see if the tensioners on the belts aren't spinning (i.e. can you get a good look at them)?

By the way the 2.4 JTD 20v is a marvellous engine

·
Registered
822 Posts
You have fixed idler wheels and tensioner wheels. Any could cause the noise. As noted above, if you start the car with aux belt off that will tell you if you are in the right area. You can also check pulleys for roughness with the belt off. If the spring loaded aux tensioner seizes it could be your problem (was that changed? ~ £130 for the part). If it still squeels with aux belt of then please check water pump (esp if not changed at the belt service) as these will take out the cam belt if they fail £££££

Keith

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just looked through the history and the belts and tensioners (aux and cam) were done at 60k about 14k miles ago. Cost a small fortune.

I will get a new aux belt and see what happens. also can you see if the tensioners on the belts aren't spinning (i.e. can you get a good look at them)?

By the way the 2.4 JTD 20v is a marvellous engine
If you are up for it :)

Loosen the wheel nuts on the drivers side front, Jack up the car on the same side and put an axle stand under the front suspension rear mounting point, remove the road wheel, get a good torch (powerful one) make sure all is clear of the belt run and start the car, look to the left of the large aux belt pulley (crank) and you will see the spring tensioner, the bearing on this can fail as well as the tensioner being seized, look to see if the tensioner wheel is fuzzy looking out of focus (sorry only description I can think of) this means there's excess play in the bearing and will need replacing, it will become obvious when you remove the tensioner as bearing will be loose and noisy when handled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have just done mine. it was the bottom tensioner (£42 from eurocar parts skf)
I had to take the engine mount off to get the bolt out of the tensioner. put car on ramp or jack up drivers side,support engine and remove the mounting in one big piece. Three 13mm af screws up to the body and five 15mm af bolts through ally mount into engine. I tried undoing big bolt that joins mount together but it snapped 19mm af head off!

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
How can the aux belt failing take off the cam belt? The cam belt is enclosed and the aux belt on the outside. What am i missing?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
There are a number of forum users who have reported a broken Aux belt getting wrapped up in the cam belt and causing it to slip which is enough to cause dammage to the head/valves

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have just developed a squeal like this too. Previous owner noticed this and paid 300+ squid for new aux belt & tensioner. It has been fine until recently. I can only guess its either adjustment or something else needs replacing?:rolleyes:

Any ideas???

Thanks T

1 - 14 of 14 Posts