Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking for a 156 saloon 2.4jtd but am unsure on which engine is the best choice. I already have a SW which has the silver and black engine cover which is 140bhp. But out of the three 136, 140 and 150 which is the best in terms of economy and power. Also what is the difference mechanically between the engines.

Thanks in advance,

Ad.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
There are significant differences between the 136 and the others, generally things became more electronically controlled in the later engine (I think the EGR valve in the 136 is purely mechanical, but in the 140 and 150 it is controlled by the ECU ... maybe could be wrong) ... also I think the turbo is different between the 136 and the other 2 ...

... the difference between the 140 and 150 is very subtle ... so subtle that I can't give you a definiative answer ... (but I'm sure someone else on here will) ...

it really depends on you budget, the 136 is only on the eariler cars, therefore will be cheaper, I think the 150 came in in 2002 or about that sort of time ...

* disclaimer all this is from memory and might be wrong :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
as far as ecomony goes I think they are all pretty much the same ... (being that they are all pretty much the same weight) ... it obviously depends how you drive it tbh ...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for your reply, as far as remapping goes which would it be best to get the 140 or 150 instead of the 136?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah perfect, thanks for all your help guys I'm going to hold out for a 140 or 150 instead of this 136. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
A number of companies quote a bigger increase after mapping the 150 than the 140, looking at all these sites one could assume they are simply adding 40 or 50bhp, or a percentage to the original outputs.

i doubt half of these tuners rolling roaded before and after for all these models before publishing their figures, rather just added an estimated increase on all std figures with no regard to mechanical differences.

Someone who does use a rolling road for every car is Red Dot, Oggie says its just the map thats different and he will get the same end result from a 140 or a 150bhp after he has mapped it.

It could be worth asking a few mappers if they have evidence of the same, (those who record their rolling road figures before and ater that is!)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where lol?! I cant seem to find any, I want something under 100k miles though. Most ive looked at are 3k plus. Thanks:)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
jasons car if im not mistaken has over 160k on the clock and goes like a bat out of hell he took me for a spin in it (brown trouser moment) i wouldnt be too concerned about mileage as long as it has a good history they do seen to take the miles well

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hm I'm not too worried, I just want to keep it for a few years maybe 3 and although I couldn't care less about depreciation theres just something about a lower mileage car that appeals to me.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The thing is about diesels is that people tend to buy them because they do a lot of miles, so finding a 6+ year old diesel with low milage would be like looking for rocking horse **** ... I was happy getting mine with 90k on it, I'd say it's got at least another 100k left ... :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I see your point, I do 14,000 a year and my workplace is 5 mins down the road. I just love driving. I'm looking for something between 70k and 90k miles. Not asking too much am I? :lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Yeah I see your point, I do 14,000 a year and my workplace is 5 mins down the road. I just love driving. I'm looking for something between 70k and 90k miles. Not asking too much am I? :lol:
In which case for a 140/150bhp you'll be looking for about 3.5-4k ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Yeah, it's considerably more isn't it. What is the Q2 differential like for everyday usage?
I haven't got one yet, but I'd imagine for "everyday use" there wouldn't be any difference, it's only when you're pushing the car (i.e. accelerating hard) that it would make any real difference ..

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
ALFA ROMEO 156 2.4 JTD VELOCE Saloon, BLUE, 4 Doors, Manual Transmission, Diesel, 133063 Miles, Margin.
Y92LEH Registered 01-03-2001 Blackbushe
Cln: £1175
Avg: £940
Blw: £720
Trd: £1035

ALFA ROMEO 156 2.4 JTD Saloon, RED, 4 Doors, Manual Transmission, Diesel, 96709 Miles, Margin.
GX02JNP Registered 11-03-2002 Nottingham
Trd: £1675

1 - 20 of 27 Posts