Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All I have done to mine is blank off the EGR valve and remove the airbox in place of a cone filter (still cold air fed from original airbox feed) and the difference is really noticable.

The noise it make now is beautiful, the whistle of the turbo is very pronounced now, it's lurvly!!

Next up is a tuning box/remap and exhaust... it will suffice at that I think!

Just thought I would share, incase anyone else was thinking about the 1st bits to do on the 140 JTD...

Cheers all....

Reedy :thumbs:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that Alfa started with the Airbox and built the rest of the car round it! :lol:

Front the top, you need to pop all the relays off the front of the battery plate to gain access to the bolts on the top, be prepared to loose some skin!... then the actual airbox:

It is a bit of a pain, you have to jack the front up and get the bottom intercooler pipe off, after that it is not too hard, just a bit of gentle persuasion will get it out, but make sure you pop the cold feed pipe off the box with a screw driver. If you are keeping the feed, then it will need securing with a tie wrap or similar as it rattles around other wise, if you want to take it out, it is a 10mm spanner (Ithink?? may be 8 or 9!?) and you need the hands of a 5 year old to get at the nut holding it on which is right in under the nearside head light.... so I left mine on!!

It is worth it... it is quick and relatively cheap!!

What chip and exhaust have you gone for...?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Did you just use a universal fit cone, clamped onto the MAF?

Cheers,

Matt
Yeah, pretty much.... I kept the top of the airbox that the MAF is attached to and it was a perfect fit to just use a universal cone, one of those with a hollow type nose, just made a small metal "L" bracket to secure the piping via the original airbox mount and the top of the air filter housing.... and bobs ya uncle!!

I know it is not some posh expensive CDA, but it gives the results I want!! Much faster spool up on the turbo, sounds awesome and has made a VERY positive increase in performance, that may be down to it needing a new air filter anyway, but I am happy with what was a £10 ebay filter, some hand skin and an hour of my Saturday morning! :thumbs:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok i decided the air box was too annoying to get out so i dropped the cone inside the box and took out the filter and all the insides. This left me with a nice cold air feed securely attached to the hollow box and my small cone filter inside. Is this a disadvantage to completely removing the box? :)
It sounds nice and rumbly and i get more turbo noise :)

I went for an angel tuning map, along with a new clutch. Need a new flywheel now to take the extra torque. I just changed the backbox to a custom one as there are no other silencers to replace as such and is sounds nice and is free flowing. Im not sure how safe it is to remove the dpf?

I had a look at the egr but decided not to bother. what gains would i be looking at and again how safe is it? Also...how did you blank yours off? Do you need a gasket for it?

You seem to have a similar objective to me :D

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i decided the air box was too annoying to get out so i dropped the cone inside the box and took out the filter and all the insides. This left me with a nice cold air feed securely attached to the hollow box and my small cone filter inside. Is this a disadvantage to completely removing the box? :)
It sounds nice and rumbly and i get more turbo noise :)

I went for an angel tuning map, along with a new clutch. Need a new flywheel now to take the extra torque. I just changed the backbox to a custom one as there are no other silencers to replace as such and is sounds nice and is free flowing. Im not sure how safe it is to remove the dpf?

I had a look at the egr but decided not to bother. what gains would i be looking at and again how safe is it? Also...how did you blank yours off? Do you need a gasket for it?

You seem to have a similar objective to me :D

Cheers

Dan
Hi Mate!

*Is this a disadvantage to completely removing the box? I would not think so, as it should be just as free flowing, still have cold feed, just a bit quieter?

* Also...how did you blank yours off? Do you need a gasket for it? Well... it is perfectly safe to do, it stops hot dirty exhaust gas being feed back into the engine, this is purely for NOx emmisions, which are not even tested for on an MOT anyway.... You will notice a lot more bottom (pre Turbo) torque with it blanked and it seems to pull smoother through the rest of the rev range too... The old gasket is used to make a template for the blanking plate (I used a piece of "tin" Hienz!! :lol:) and that was a piece of urine to do to!!

* Im not sure how safe it is to remove the dpf? There are a lot of people who run a turbo back straight through and still pass the emmisions and visible smoke tests no problem. The DPF does what it says on the tin!! Litterally and only removes the visible smoke but is fairly restrictive in doing so - If your JTD is a Pre 2002, then I do not think it will throw up any issues... I think that the later ones give ecu error readings, but the earlier ones (like my 2001) should be fine.

I am looking at and Angel map too... will most likely sort that first then the exhaust and then she will get Powerflex (or Superflex! as cheaper :thumbs:) all round...

Nice looking motor too.... want to "GTA" my headlights, but am not convinced it will look right with the Fantazia blue, Red, Silver & Black cars look good, but not convinced about mine?... Any opinions?

Reedy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Ok well i am going to get a bigger cone filter on sunday and try and fully remove the box, but keeping the cold air feed in place. It has a fairly small cone on it at the moment so i would like to put a larger one on. this should be better?

I will also do your heinz trick on sunday and give it a go. Do you blank off the valve before gases get to the valve or just after the valve and before the inlet chamber?

I am getting some GTA headlights soon off Ebay, seen some nice new ones :) I hate the plastic covers on mine at the moment and they wont come off :(

I think they would look nice on yours. I believe they go well with any colour. Make the car look aggressive :D

Im sure the DPF quietens the exhaust down too? As i now have a straight through exhaust from the dpf to the backbox(which is small) and its still pretty quiet. It also seems to have 2 boxes around the DPF? Is that right?

Mabye i'm too used to petrol cars. :S

Dan

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Im sure the DPF quietens the exhaust down too? As i now have a straight through exhaust from the dpf to the backbox(which is small) and its still pretty quiet. It also seems to have 2 boxes around the DPF? Is that right?
Dan

Your car doesn't have a DPF ... (159s etc only)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok. Lets say its the Cat, as it looks exactly the same. (the guy in the garage lied to me) and there is a tiny box cylinder shaped box before it too

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Ok. Lets say its the Cat, as it looks exactly the same. (the guy in the garage lied to me) and there is a tiny box cylinder shaped box before it too
:thumbs: yep that's it ... ever so slightly different though :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
how come there are 2 things there. Surely it only needs a Cat. I'm not used to this diesel stuff, i'm sure you can tell :D

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Where on this picture is it???

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine looks different to that?

All there is on mine is the downpipe, a small box and then the cat and then pipe all the way to the back box.
Makes no difference mine is the 150 version of the engine?

·
Registered
76 Posts
the other box is where fig.4 is... and my cat looks rounder than the one shown on fig.3...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
the other box is where fig.4 is... and my cat looks rounder than the one shown on fig.3...
eLearn said:
The engine exhaust gases flow through the manifold (1) to the turbocharger and then via a pipe (2) to the oxidizing catalytic converter (3) (see 1080).
At the front of the exhaust pipe, there is a flexible component (4) for limiting the transmission of vibrations.
The rear exhaust section comprises a single silencer (5).
Special guards limit the radiation of heat towards the body shell.
The various components are supported by mountings (6) and rubber rings (7) secured to the underbody.
Well 4 is a "flexible component" ... doesn't seem to match with you "box" description though

·
Registered
76 Posts
i will certainly look into this when i can get the car on some ramps again... thanks for the info Chris

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
i will certainly look into this when i can get the car on some ramps again... thanks for the info Chris

Had a quick look under my car tonight (adding a couple of washers to my Ali undertray) ... and mine is pretty much identical to the picture I posted :confused: ... I wonder if yours has an aftermarket system ????

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a quick look under my car tonight (adding a couple of washers to my Ali undertray) ... and mine is pretty much identical to the picture I posted :confused: ... I wonder if yours has an aftermarket system ????
Mine has a bulbous round "can" after the Cat too (3 in diagram).... which I assumed was a DPF as well... I was always told mine is the 140hp engine it is the 2001 model, just wondering if it in fact the it is the 150hp engine like Dan's as I think that the DPF is more likely on the CF2/CF3 engines...

Oh and Dan.... PM me to let me know what you want for the headlights mate, will have the perfect projector conversion donors then!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Mine has a bulbous round "can" after the Cat too (3 in diagram).... which I assumed was a DPF as well... I was always told mine is the 140hp engine it is the 2001 model, just wondering if it in fact the it is the 150hp engine like Dan's as I think that the DPF is more likely on the CF2/CF3 engines...

Oh and Dan.... PM me to let me know what you want for the headlights mate, will have the perfect projector conversion donors then!!! :thumbs:
156's don't have DPFs (otherwise they wouldn't smoke) ... take a picture and post it up ....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts