Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hia Guys,

I have a 156, currently a 00 Reg. [my fourth]

The issue is its running very oddly. It runs great at anything below 3500 RPM, but if I go above that, well it won't go above that lol. It also will not run perfectly if I just start and drive, it needs to sit and run for 5/10 mins. After that its v smooth anywhere below 3500, but will not go above it, just stays at 3500-4000.

I thought it just needed a service. I have also read about Lambda and MAF sensors causing this issue. I have had full service, changed Lambda, MAF, nothing, still runs really badly as above.

I am feeling I am missing something really obvious! Any ideas or sound familiar to anyone?

Regards - S

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP -> Anyone, any ideas?

This is my 4th 156, so am v used to their oddities, I was sure this was Lambda sensor, but made NO difference. Also, to the mods, I think I posted in wrong forum, could you move foe me [apologies] ...

Cheers - S

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BUMP -> Anyone, any ideas?

This is my 4th 156, so am v used to their oddities, I was sure this was Lambda sensor, but made NO difference. Also, to the mods, I think I posted in wrong forum, could you move foe me [apologies] ...

Cheers - S

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I'm thinking cam shaft sensor.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys, its exactly the same stationary as when driven, it won't rev past 3500-4000. It idles perfectly. But will not rev past that point. How or what is most likely? Throttle body? or cam shaft sensor? Which is the easiest to fix ;)

At this point, feeling a bit lost lol!

S

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Cam sensor should show up on diags.

When it fails, the ECU prevents it going above 3500rpm...

Expensive fix as it means a full cambelt job.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Cam sensor should show up on diags.

When it fails, the ECU prevents it going above 3500rpm...

Expensive fix as it means a full cambelt job.
Just for an easy test, I'd pull the MAF sensor connector, and try it. I've had a couple of cars that have had splits in the hoses, and it confuses the maf enough, that it gets to a certain revs then cuts. From memory it was at lower revs, but it's a simple test and very easy to rule out.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Just for an easy test, I'd pull the MAF sensor connector, and try it. I've had a couple of cars that have had splits in the hoses, and it confuses the maf enough, that it gets to a certain revs then cuts. From memory it was at lower revs, but it's a simple test and very easy to rule out.
On the TS, MAF issues are usually 5000rpm limit under load, but will go over that with no load.

Very easy check though before you start ripping the cambelt off...

·
Registered
266 Posts
On the TS, MAF issues are usually 5000rpm limit under load, but will go over that with no load.

Very easy check though before you start ripping the cambelt off...
I've had a couple that hasn't actually been the maf, but a split hose, that cut out\try to stall under load at lower revs. To get them moving again, I've unplugged the maf, then reconnected the MAF when I've got the part.

I agree it doesn't exactly match the symtoms but for the sake of 30secs to unplug, it would be good to rule it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts