Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - the interior fan on my 156 V6 has stopped working entirely. The air con compressor still clicks on when I press the button, the temperature dial still seems to have an effect on the air that finds its way into the cabin, the recirculate air button seems to activate the relevant flaps, as does the dial to control airflow direction.

The fuses for the fan seem to be OK (two 40A fuses in the top right corner of the engine bay) so what is likely to be causing the problem here? The fan doesn't come on at any speed 1-4 on the dial, or the auto setting.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should perhaps also mention that the exterior temperature sensor is giving very erratic readings - fluctuating from any values between +20 and -12 every couple of seconds. I know this might affect the climate control temperature setting but not sure if it would impact on the fan operation?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
the fuses for the internal fan are inside.

outside is for the coolant fan

the fan could be burnt out or else jammed.

if you set the key to MAR & turn the knob to 4 does it buzz?

do you have a multimeter?

in the passenegers footwell is wher ethe fna is located. there are 2 very heavy gauged wires going into it. with the key off measure the resistnace of its coil.... should be approx 3 ohmns

if that ok then the resistor pack could be burnt out, locater approx 6" away, on the bulkhead.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the fuses for the internal fan are inside.

outside is for the coolant fan

the fan could be burnt out or else jammed.

if you set the key to MAR & turn the knob to 4 does it buzz?

do you have a multimeter?

in the passenegers footwell is wher ethe fna is located. there are 2 very heavy gauged wires going into it. with the key off measure the resistnace of its coil.... should be approx 3 ohmns

if that ok then the resistor pack could be burnt out, locater approx 6" away, on the bulkhead.
No sound at all seems to come from the fan with the ignition on, but I've not got up close to it or anything - where exactly is it located, and is it easy to get to?

According to the owner's handbook the fuses are under the bonnet - referring to page 146/7, if you have a copy of it - where do you think they are exactly?

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hope you get an answer,or post how you got it fixed before i ask the same questions.
Ive had my 156 nearly 2 months didnt check fan when i test drove it,dont believe in air con,but find i need fan to demist windscreen.
PLease update if you get problem fixed.Good luck. if i find how to fix mine ill let you know

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi also had the fan stop working on my 00 156 yesterday. It was a very worm day but my outside temp gage read from -9 to 24. When reading above zero the fan would work but not when below. I was going to have a look today but it worked fine. I would think it might be something to do with the control unit or the outside temp sensor. If you find a fix can you let me know.

·
Vendor
45,308 Posts
Outside temp sensor is measured by that little nipple thing under the wing mirror. It is only on one side of the car, can't remember which off the top of my head.

If the fan works on speed 4 but not the others, that is typical of a failed fan resistor.

Why not try unplugging the fan from the car's wiring loom and give it 12v straight from a battery, see if it does anything, then you can isolate a faulty fan from the equation.

From the sounds of it, it is something to do with that outside temp sensor..

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To conclude my original post, my fan is now working again. Can't offer any useful advice though I'm afraid. One day I just started the car as usual and was blasted with air from the fan I had left switched on 4 so that I'd know if it ever came on.

Turns out it just fixed itself for absolutely no apparent reason whatsoever a couple of months ago, and has worked fine since. The outside temp sensor started reading correctly again at the same time - so the two must have been linked.

Must just be the car's 'soul' I guess :lol: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The inside fan stopped working again in my car over the last few days. Today I had a good look and found that the heater blower control module was at fault. This part is in the same location as the resistor pack is on a car without climate control. Behind the fan in the passangor side footwell.. I also had the outside sensor giving very erratic readings. The problem was with the connector going into the control module. The two heavy duty wires orange 12V from the Fan and Black from Gnd were stuck in the connector. I had to brake open the connector to get them out of the control Module. When I did I noticed that the Black wire/connector was very burnt. I re-soldered the connection and cleaned the contacts. It is working fine now and the outside temp sensor is measuring correctoly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts