Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member, and new ( kind of ) to alfa's.
I haven't had much to do with repairing, or technical info / general knowledge stuff.
However, I was a mechanic before I got an easy job quite a few years back, so reasonably handy with tools.
I have just bought a 156 2006 model. 2.0 selespeed.
It's not in great condition, and want to replace a few parts.
Is there any thing which is interchangeable from the early models?
A few bits which I'd need is the plastic sill / skirt.
Boot lid.
Hand brake lever is missing the button ( the surround of the button, I can still use it, but the spring is exposed on the button )
Front bumper & bonnet, pretty sure these are different but thought I'd ask.
Also what diagnostic tool is best? I have also posted regarding a key, really looking for some answers.
Cheers, Simon

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
if it is just engine then most of the cheap eBay tools are fine. If you want body, brakes and airbags then MultiECUScan (MES) is the tool to have. Free version (limited functions) is available to try before you buy (50 euros.)

http://www.multiecuscan.net

Before you install MES or plug your lead into your PC read my last post in this thread:-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...ecu-diagnosis-hardware-software-required.html

Lots of people have problems with cheap leads. Personally I would buy a set from Rarebear on this forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it is just engine then most of the cheap eBay tools are fine. If you want body, brakes and airbags then MultiECUScan (MES) is the tool to have. Free version (limited functions) is available to try before you buy (50 euros.)

Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars

Before you install MES or plug your lead into your PC read my last post in this thread:-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...ecu-diagnosis-hardware-software-required.html

Lots of people have problems with cheap leads. Personally I would buy a set from Rarebear on this forum.
Cool thanks, I'll look into them.
I have a obd elm327 some where, I was more thinking for coding a key, which it looks like I can't do any way, so I'll hold out buying any thing until its needed.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
I have just bought a 156 2006 model. 2.0 selespeed.

Is there any thing which is interchangeable from the early models?
A few bits which I'd need is the plastic sill / skirt.
Boot lid.
Hand brake lever is missing the button ( the surround of the button, I can still use it, but the spring is exposed on the button )
Front bumper & bonnet, pretty sure these are different but thought I'd ask.
If yours is a facelift model - it probably is, but there were a few pre-facelift ones late registered after being recovered from an export order - then the bootlid, bonnet and bumper are all different from the pre-facelift - although the pre-facelift bootlid fits, and most people won't notice.
Sill skirts and handbrake lever should be exchangeable for early models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If yours is a facelift model - it probably is, but there were a few pre-facelift ones late registered after being recovered from an export order - then the bootlid, bonnet and bumper are all different from the pre-facelift - although the pre-facelift bootlid fits, and most people won't notice.
Sill skirts and handbrake lever should be exchangeable for early models.
Thanks. What is different with boot lids? I have the face lift model - pointy lights / narrow grill.
It'd be nice to get a good bumper & skirts.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
I'm sure the original bootlid will fit, but would need the boot mounted lights to go with it.

Google for images of the difference.
Most people prefer the original styling at the rear.

Skirt/sill. Fixing method changed, but if you glued the replacement on the original fixing wouldn't matter.
A few different shapes too, so if only changing one side make sure it matches the other!

Reactions: Blindin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure the original bootlid will fit, but would need the boot mounted lights to go with it.

Google for images of the difference.
Most people prefer the original styling at the rear.

Skirt/sill. Fixing method changed, but if you glued the replacement on the original fixing wouldn't matter.
A few different shapes too, so if only changing one side make sure it matches the other!
Oh yep, just done a search. I'll have to have a look to see what lights mine are.
It's only because my paint has faded.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
It's only because my paint has faded.
In that case, given that replacement panels are unlikely to match your car, simply respraying what you have is probably the way forward.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Red? Goes pink after a few years!
Yes, I was just looking for a cheap option, I don't have money to spend on it. It is actually black. I'm in Australia and the sun can ruin most colours. This has been buffed up so many times I would say as it is down to white. When I got the car the roof felt like wire wool. I've flattened it out with wet and dry, obviously it didn't do the paint thickness any good, but it was already showing the primer any way. Atleast it's flat now. I may just give it a cheap acrylic coat when I have time.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you have the time and somewhere to do it. Buy a cheap spray gun, some 2-pack paint and rent an air compressor and then just spray it yourself. Would cost you a few hundred bucks all up but would look better than completely munted, mismatched panels and provided you do some decent prep-work you should be able to get some good results. Use a good clearcoat with high UV screening (for obvious reasons) and sand back between coats and you should get some really nice results. The issue with using acrylic is that it usually breaks down within a few years, even with a really good job and then you're back to square one!

So if you're not too fussed with it looking 100% brand spanking new, professionally done; just get a mate or two, buy the paint/clear/spray gun, rent the compressor and then hole up in a clean shed for a weekends work!

Reactions: Blindin
1 - 12 of 12 Posts