Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys.

My 156 sometimes will not start and the key symbol with code written above it remains lit on the dash. I have two red keys and it does this with either one. If i set the alarm whilst sat in the car and then put the key in the ignition which sets the alarm off upon turning alarm off again the car will start.
I have not tried anything yet. Pehgaps a ECU reset will do the trick? Any ideas as this is getting annoying and i think my neighbours will get ****ed about the alarm going off at 5:30am all the time!

Cheers

Rich

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
That is unlikely to be the ECU and more likely to be the immobiliser aerial on the steering column. IIRC you can remove the steering column switch housing and you should be able to check the connections on the back on the ignition switch, etc. The aerial is wrapped around the steering column.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
a very common problem. wiggling the wires to the left of the fusebox usually sorts it out for a few months, but a permanent solution is to remove then reconnect the connector at either end of the wiring harness between the aerial (on ignition switch) and the codebox (black box to left of fusebox).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys i will unplug & replug the connectors at the weekend and check continuity of all the wiring. Sounds like you seen this one before so i am confident it should be ok.
Will post back and let you know

Cheers Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem; is that fuse box to the and below the steering wheel (on right hand drive models)?

At the moment the car refuses to start!

·
Registered
344 Posts
The box is above the fuse box. Right up behind the loom and relays. You could pull the cowl off the steering wheel and wiggle the wire from the coil around the barrel so you can see/feel where it goes.

As Jug says reconnect the cable a couple of times (finger tips only for mine). The box is something like 2x3x1 inches in size.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This just worked for my 1999 2.0 TS.

Best way is to lie on your back, head under the dashboard, and loop your hand up by the accelerator pedal and round the back to get at the white connector.

Unplugged it and plugged in a few times - working great now. A torch is handy for identifying the black box!

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can also get to it if you take out the fuse box cover, and remove the three or four bolts holding the steel fuse box bracket off. You can't get the bracket out, but you can manhandle it to get to the box easier, just watch out for the sharp speed nuts that cut your wrists.

·
Registered
20 Posts
this info help me out alot today lol!!!my alfa did the same thing wouldnt start then it did then sometimes it wouldnt in the end i gave up completly so i unpluged the white conection above the accelerater pedel and its now perfect :) nice one very helpfull . seb

·
Registered
52 Posts
:thumbs: Glad I searched the forum because going to the garage.

A bit of wire wiggling later and we have ignition!

When I have more time I will try the full connections fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have recently come into the same issue with my 156 re: the immobiliser.
Though, when I start the car, as its trying to kick over, the yellow ket symbol on th dash is not 'lit up'.
I followed RickHough's advise and crawled up under the dash, found the white plug, disconnected and reconnected a few times and hoped to share the same joy he did. But Today, again, it played up on me.
Does anyone advise where I go from here - in terms of what parts/accessories I should be replacing

Thanks

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
is the engine management light on [ Red Injector or Yellow Engine shaped light ]

if YES then the TDC sesnor could be defective.

You need to get the car diagnosed to be certain

·
Registered
2 Posts
No fault lights anywhere
It seems to happen every 3rd time i go to start the car

Someone I know, here in Aust, suggested that the local cars here have the same sorta technology - and that if they have an issue with their system, they leave the key in the ignition(on reds) for 20min and the system 'refinds' itself
I may give it a go

·
Registered
344 Posts
The white connector above the accellerator pedal is for the throtle potentiometer (This poster has a Sele).

+1 for the best way forward for Joe325 is to get the codes read from the ECU.

·
Registered
16 Posts
same problem

I'm having the same problem and tried all of the above but no luck :confused: not happy, only had her for 2 weeks, welcome to alfa world eh?! anyboby help~? i've pulled out the white connector wiggled it put it back, done this several times, taken out the fuses by the battery and cleanned the connections and put back, bought a new battery for the key fob.

cheers

footdown

·
Registered
1 Posts
Immobiliser Fault

Hi All,

I've a 2.0 TS Selespeed on a W plate, and it does this exact thing! Very frustrating! Car will start with code on manual entry, but no amount of wiggling will extinguish the CODE key light...what else can I try???

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey guys,
I have been messing with my ketfob recently because the mircoswitch came off. Soldered back on sorted. Anyway, worked fine (sort of) was a bit patch so I replaced the battery...

Dam, immobiliser not coming off. Reading this thread I found the connector I need to disconnect. I wiggled it but not good enough. How the heck do you get your hand/enough space to pull the connectors out of the immobiliser box? Been trying for hours but just cant do it. I dont fancy unplugging every single connector and taking the fuse box out.

Is there anything i cant remove which would be particularly helpful yet uncomplicated?

Many thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts