Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "rescued" 156SW oilcaholic has had a problem with the aircon since I got it.
After an all-too-warm summer I've started replacing bits as they became available - new condenser rad at the front, new compressor etc ...

Now, the compressor says I should also replace the expansion valve - which I duly purchased and which eLearn suggests should be near the evaporator and the pollen-filter.

#5 on the eLearn image below

So - I duly took apart the passenger side (RHD car), glovebox etc all out this evening - and no obvious way to get in or even see if I'm in the right place ...

Does anyone know where I've gone wrong (besides trying to fix the aircon in the first place :p ) ... looked under the drivers' side too - but while I see things that look plausibly related to aircon pipework - there's no obvious hope of access past the pedals and steering-column.

Ideally - I don't have to take out the entire dashboard, as the car is in regular enough use when I'm not fettling it.

P

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Partial answer to my own question - the picture on https://www.motor-doctor.co.uk/products/7723171-evaporator-air-conditioning gives an idea, at least, of what I'm looking for
Looks like LHD and RHD are different

Expansion valve is the chunky thing on the right - at the pipes ... now to find its location in reality

Though - most of the parts sites have Evaporator without expansion valve listed for >2002 (Mine's a 2005)

Answers on a postcard

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don’t think it’s possible. Normal way is to remove the dash, remove the whole aircon housing, split the housing and then remove the evaporator plus expansion valve. The evaporator and expansion valve are enclosed within the housing.
Note you need to remove the aircon pipes and heater hoses from the bulkhead before you can remove the housing. Or you can split the heater matrix from the housing first, then you might not need to remove the heater hoses.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks @gwinter .. figured it might be that .. at which point I'll leave it sit and pray it's not gone bad on me :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.