Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2002 156 2.0L and i'm going to put a set of 17" alloy wheels on with 205/40/17 Rubber......

SO MY QUESTION:

Eibach sell 2 variations of lowering springs for the 156.

1. DROP: 30mm FRONT 30MM REAR (Pro-Kit)
2. DROP: 45MM FRONT 50MM REAR (Sportline)

I'm leaning towards the Sportline package because it sits lower:

BUT IS THIS TOO MUCH OF A DROP????????????

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
205/40/17 is the wrong rubber. You need 225/45/17, or 215/45/17 depending on if the wheel is 7" or 7.5" wide.

Anyway, if you go for the sportline you will definitely need to change the shocks. With that in mind, would coilovers not suit you better?

·
Registered
651 Posts
what is the sportline kit???? never seen a kit for the 156 that lowers that much
are they just springs or springs n dampers?

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Got a 2002 156 2.0L and i'm going to put a set of 17" alloy wheels on with 205/40/17 Rubber......

SO MY QUESTION:

You can use the pro kit with the standard dampers.. the Sportline kit will mean you have to change the dampers.

OA

·
Registered
127 Posts

SO MY QUESTION:

The pro-kit is enough without being too much ...

Your car will improve substantially ... this will give as well a choice to consider struts according to your daily use.

It all depends on the degree of comfort you wish to have. However the stiffer is the car, the more problems you will get ... extra vibrations will impact on bolts, plastics, ...

Once again i live in a mountain area and i can guaranty you the car handling with the pro-kit is amazingly different ... and far better ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok, this explains a conundrum I've had since I bought my beloved JTS 156... I didn't notice it when I bought her, although she was by far the best handling example of all the 156's I test drove - she has been lowered which explains her superior handling.. I thought that it was an after market mod...

Not only do they handle much better, they also look far better on the road.. that 30 or 40mm difference is amazing.. the ones that arent lowered look as though they're missing something... It adds that little something to them that finishes the car perfectly. Im my opinion anyway..

My quetsion is, now I know its a factory option... how do you know whether you have the pro kit or the sport line?? which is better?

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
On the older TS, the SportPack suspension drop was around 25mm (poss 20mm at rear) with better Bilstein shocks. The Sportpack became the Veloce on the later cars and probably used the same springs. Otherwise all the rest of the suspension was the same. The GTA got a thicker set of anti-roll bars (24mm versus standard 22mm)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
If you have the standard dampers then I would certainly change them. The Alfa dampers compress very easily so if you hit a small hump with lowered springs and standard dampers I'm sure you will bottom out the car.

Uprated dampers do not compress so easily or so quickly in this situation and the car will not bottom out. The V6 is far worse than the TS in this respect and even this is evident on speed bumps.

My V6 is low at the front and has Zender front spoiler but it seldom has problems with speed bumps etc but before I fitted the uprated dampers it was a real nightmare

·
Registered
848 Posts
Maybe the 30mm kit would be a more sensible choice for ride comfort as well as performance... the 45mm kit would be pretty stiff, and you'd definitely need uprated shocks to cope with both these lowered springs. The lower kit definitely wins in terms of looks, but only if you don't mind your eyeballs jostling on rough roads :)

Why not go for a coilover kit? You'd be able to adjust ride height and rebound rates.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a million gents!
To answer Rigsby, The sportline kit (45-50mm) is an Eibach spring kit, no dampers included, and is in actual fact cheaper than the pro kit (30-30mm)!

you just have to order it and the agents ships is from Germany with their next order (2-3 months waiting)

NOW HERE IS ANOTHER SPANNER IN THE WORKS:

A friend of mine has fitted a set of Eibach springs to his GT 1.9 dIESEL, and is offering me his original springs! :thumbs:

WILL THEY DROP THE 156?
OR ARE THEY THE SAME AS WHAT THE 156 HAS ON AT THE MOMENT?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I am presuming the 30mm drop the pro kit gives is from the standard car? As mine is a Veloce that would be roughly a futher 10mm drop?

·
Registered
127 Posts
A friend of mine has fitted a set of Eibach springs to his GT 1.9 dIESEL, and is offering me his original springs! :thumbs:

WILL THEY DROP THE 156?
OR ARE THEY THE SAME AS WHAT THE 156 HAS ON AT THE MOMENT?
Certainly not and eventually the opposit as diesel engines are heavier than petrol ones ... i doubt it's a good deal !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts