Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, ive just started to experience an odd fault with my 1800 twin spark veloce.

it will drive normally under light and part throttle, all the way through the rev range, but ask more of it under heavier throttle, and it hits rough patches starting around 3/3500 revs and upwards.

floor it, and it gets even worse, to the point where it will simply sit stuttering at all sorts of higher revs and it won't pull through it untill you ease of the gas and let it free rev again.

has anyone got any ideas before i start divin' in!

it feels as an older car would if the plugs, caps, or leads were knackered if you know what i mean, but this is all very fresh equipment so i'm hoping i can elimnate them initially, but your thougts please.

thank you very much for any asistance you can offer,

cheers

shrew

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Hi Shrew, don't know if you have looked in the Tech Forums or not, you may find useful information there, that may assist you.Good Hunting.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes mate, but most posts are for problems of misfires under low load or low revs, mine is completely opposite, the more load or revs the worse it gets!

thanks for direction though

shrew

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Trouble is mate, we all need that Examiner Smart, to do real diags, certainly on post 2001 motors, but at £3,500 or so + vat. outside my budget by a slight margin!:)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Try the maf, normal procedure to check is to disconnect it and go for a drive. Idle will probably be rough but should drive ok and if it is the problem you will soon know, quite a few threads on this.

Other bits to check are HT leads for arcing and possible water or oil down in the spark plugs recess`s. But as you already said its all new, or did the problem start just after it was fitted.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi, good avice by the sounds of it.

i shouldn't be so quick to eliminate really, as ive only just bought it, but with a lot of history and serviced very recently, so trouble is i dont know what is was like to drive pre-service, or know excatly what they may have done.

car has been stood a short while, hence reason for selling to me, may be a gumming up issue or damp ingress i'm wondering?

thanks so far, keep it coming...

cheers, shrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts