Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm new here. I'm looking at buying a 156 1.9 diesel. 2004 with 104k on the clock.
Any ideas as to why it should have a heavy clutch pedal??? I'm told the clutch isn't slipping and works fine. Any ideas? anyone?:confused:

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Hi and welcome to AO.
Clutches on the whole are heavy with the diesels, or heavier than petrol anyway.
But with 104k on it its got to be ready for a new clutch,
If you like the car enough work about £500 for a replacement into what you want to pay.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, Thanks mate. I will be getting the car cheap, but I'm not really sure of it's true value at these sort of miles. I'd say it's average condition overall, just needs a good deeep clean and a bit of paint here and there to mint the outside.... We will see over the next few days. Cheers, M.

·
Registered
421 Posts
After being so impressed with my 1st JTD, bought another for myself. LOL 2nd one hadn't been driven for a while and I did notice that clutch seemed a bit stiffer than 1st one which had been driven regularly. Thought it might be a problem.
Anyway after a weeks driving it has became a lot lighter and is on par with the other machine.

Car with light clutch 104k, car with heavy, now light clutch 93k.

Is there service history with clutch replacement and/or has the car been sitting for a while?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello, I don't know the answers yet. I will find out tomorrow and take it for a test drive. A few people have said about the heavy clutch issue, so time will tell!

Thanks a lot mate.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
A big problem on th JTDs is the master cylinder spring giving the appearance of a failed clutch when infact it is simply that spring inside which has snapped and can be replaced quite easily.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
A big problem on th JTDs is the master cylinder spring giving the appearance of a failed clutch when infact it is simply that spring inside which has snapped and can be replaced quite easily.
Right,
how easy is it to check to see if the spring is snapped.
And can you buy just the spring.
Cheers :thumbs:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
You can't buy the spring seperately, but I always have a few old cylinders lying round and seeming as the master and slave share the same spring if needs be then to swap them round is no big deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts