Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hey

My 2002 cf3 dual zone 2.5 v6 sw has (a) weeping passenger compartment heater hose(s) that's making me cry.

I've lived with the car for more than a year, and I've never turned up the heater apart from when I change coolant.

Would it be safe to bypass/remove the internal heater?

Also, if it is, should I plug the inlet and outlets from the thermo, or can I just use a 16mm heater hose u-bend connecting these coolant supplies?

TIA

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Hey hey

My 2002 cf3 dual zone 2.5 v6 sw has (a) weeping passenger compartment heater hose(s) that's making me cry.

I've lived with the car for more than a year, and I've never turned up the heater apart from when I change coolant.

Would it be safe to bypass/remove the internal heater?

Also, if it is, should I plug the inlet and outlets from the thermo, or can I just use a 16mm heater hose u-bend connecting these coolant supplies?

TIA
I would replace the heater hose, but that's just me...

I would also use a u bend. I think in the 156 the heater matrix continuously has hot water, but the warm air is controlled by a stepper motor opening a flap. This means the water is continuously recirculating. I may be wrong though, but that is what I read up somewhere.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The second post in this thread contains a link to the basic description of the heater. In later versions the system is completely automatic, but the layout of the various components is the same. It seems the heat exchanger is always primed with hot water, and only the flap controls the temperature.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well had a look at the matrix, ie removed it, it's rusty and leaky and generally poked.

So, gonna remove it, for now, with an eye on replacing it and U bend with heater specific copper pipe and heater hose, got 16 mm, think that's correct a la 5/8 inch?

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
On my track car (24v V6) the heater box is removed, and a silicone coolant pipe links the outlet straight back to the inlet on the back of the thermostat housing. Heater pipes are also removed from the car and the holes on the bulkhead are sealed up with bungs.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
On my track car (24v V6) the heater box is removed, and a silicone coolant pipe links the outlet straight back to the inlet on the back of the thermostat housing. Heater pipes are also removed from the car and the holes on the bulkhead are sealed up with bungs.
What he said... Keep recirculating... Fit a return hose :smash:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
This is the nightmarish issue I had with my 156 GTA. To remove that pipe is a mission and a half. I found online most guys just block it off.

Reactions: r2dter

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, lil update.

I used 16mm heater hose, removed the(very leaky shot 0-ringed)clip on type hose connectors and fitted a u pipe to the outlet and inlet, was about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't used up a drop of coolant since.

Thank goodness though as I was having blown headgasket night terrors bahahaha.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
So, lil update.

I used 16mm heater hose, removed the(very leaky shot 0-ringed)clip on type hose connectors and fitted a u pipe to the outlet and inlet, was about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't used up a drop of coolant since.

Thank goodness though as I was having blown headgasket night terrors bahahaha.
Nobody wants a blown head gasket on a Busso. Fit a U pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts