Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question about the heat shield.

Firstly my heat shield that is at the front of the engine is cracked and a couple of the screws holding it on have snapped, is this a common problem?

Secondly is it ok to remove the heath shield and run the car without it? Or is it a case of needing replacement? And if so does anyone have a part num?

Thanks

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
Yeah you can run without one on, its not a problem just make sure there are no loose wires or anything that might touch the manifold and melt.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
take it off. !

·
Registered
176 Posts
ARe you sureits the heatshield and not the exhaust bracket underneath that is cracked. That makes a far worse vibrating noise.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shield that goes vertically down infront of the manifold i think its called? Sorry i'm only a newbie to this it's my first car!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know, but behind the shield is a bracket between the engine block and the exhaust which is usually the cause of an annoying vibration. It certainly was on mine. Its easy to check if you remove the heatshield (which is very easy to remove) theres a bracket from the downpipe from the exhaust manifold to the engine block behind the heatshield. You can see it without removing the heatshield but its much harder.

My heatshield is also badly cracked but once I had replaced the bracket the vibration/rattle stopped hence no new heatshield for me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, but behind the shield is a bracket between the engine block and the exhaust which is usually the cause of an annoying vibration. It certainly was on mine. Its easy to check if you remove the heatshield (which is very easy to remove) theres a bracket from the downpipe from the exhaust manifold to the engine block behind the heatshield. You can see it without removing the heatshield but its much harder.

My heatshield is also badly cracked but once I had replaced the bracket the vibration/rattle stopped hence no new heatshield for me.
Thanks will check in the morning:thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts