Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any top tips for shifting the round cover on the back of the main beam units on a 156? I know it's just a simple twist to get it off, but the plastic lugs are rather tight and if they haven't been moved for a while they're a pain to shift. Currently the offside main beam one just won't move - I need to get some more leverage on it, I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,221 Posts
You may be able to get a jar lid removal tool on it, if not just warm hands and a cloth to grip it.

Remember to oil the seal before you refit to make it easier to remove next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
I used a screw driver and a hammer against the top tab. An oil filter wrench would probably be better but that would have involved me walking back to the shed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,196 Posts
If an oil filter wrench or jar opener won't do the trick, you could try screwing in a screw at the back of the cover and using that for leverage. Had to do that on a friend's car once. Just leave it in there afterward, or take it out and seal the hole.

As David C said - oil the seal when putting it back. A bit of motor oil taken from the inside of the oil filler cap would do the trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Already tried the hammer and screwdriver and was quite surprised when it didn't shift. I may just have been subconciously pulling my punches though.

Will try the other suggestions. And yes, I've got some silicone lube (ahem), which has worked veey nicely on the other covers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Thanks. Already tried the hammer and screwdriver and was quite surprised when it didn't shift. I may just have been subconciously pulling my punches though.

Will try the other suggestions. And yes, I've got some silicone lube (ahem), which has worked veey nicely on the other covers.
Had the same problem today. I used a large jubilee clip with a "peak" bent into it to fit over the tab. I then clouted it with a large screwdriver and rubber mallet, the clip prevented the screwdriver breaking the plastic.
I used Vaseline to lubricate it when I put it back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,200 Posts
Thanks. Already tried the hammer and screwdriver and was quite surprised when it didn't shift. I may just have been subconciously pulling my punches though.

Will try the other suggestions. And yes, I've got some silicone lube (ahem), which has worked veey nicely on the other covers.
I just did this yesterday with a pair of long handled waterpump pliers. It's V6 car which has had some frontal damage so don't know if that has made access easier but it was very easy this way. Just be very gentle with the pliers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lazily ignored the advice about using a jubilee clip to protect the top tab on the cover when I tried hammering it again. Result - tab now broken off. Cover unmoved. Recommend protecting tab!

Couldn't get my oil filter wrench to fit into the gap.

Finally shifted it using my left hand (it's the offside light), jamming it really hard into the gap between the cover and the bracket and not thinking too hard about potential damage to my hand or how I was going to get it out again afterwards. One strained shoulder later, it finally and very slowly shifted...recommend finding a leftie with a really strong grip!
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top