Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Does anyone know how to strip the headlights on a 156
Mine got some moisture in, and the one lens has gone yellow.
Needs a good clean

Thanks...................

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You have to cook them, minus the bulbs, in an oven.

10 mins at 200 ish but do keep a check on them. Once the butyl is soft, GENTLY pry them off. Make sure you remove any clips first too.

You then need to re seal them. Try to get hold of some Nissan butyl from ebay. Much better than silicone etc.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. No pun intended!
Been done loads of times b4.

Lots of people use this method as it saves slashing yourself when trying, and failing, to cut them open.

Most used to perform the GTA headlight mod.

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
DON'T put them in the oven, an easier and safer way is to use a screwdriver to prise apart light from the lens, but be careful when doing this as if you aint, you may crack/break the lens..

·
Registered
472 Posts
a quick guide on how to refurbish the headlights on ur 156. great if ur headlights are badly stone-chipped and/or the lacquer is peeling.

tools:
1pc 800grit sandpaper
1pc 1500grit sandpaper
autosol silver polish
brasso
meguiars scratchX or plastX
light car shampoo solution (as a lubricant)
lots of clean rags
masking tape

process (for plastic lenses only):
1. use liberal amts of masking tape and mask around the headlights so as not to scratch the paint when u go at it with the sandpaper

2. attack the headlights with the 800grit sandpaper. be sure to wet it with the car shampoo solution as a lubricant. most plastic lenses will have a layer of lacquer on it. this is the layer that gets yellow. you need to sand ALL of this lacquer off (takes quite a while). oh, and ur lenses will look all cloudy and ****ed up. dont **** ur pants yet. its ok.

3. once uv got all the lacquer off (when the lenses dry, the surface looks even without any darker patches), go at it with the 1500 grit sandpaper. be sure to cover the entire area till the surface is as smooth as possible. the lenses shd be clear now. if its still cloudy, panic!

4. just kidding. the lenses will be cloudy after the sandpaper. now attack it with the autosol. u will see the lenses start to clear up. use the autosol until it doesnt get any clearer. basically, ur grinding off the top layer of plastic and moving from rougher to finer grit material.

5. then use the brasso on the lenses. they shd be almost completely clear now. in fact, ur arms will be about ready to fall off at this pt and u shd be telling urself that after the brasso shd be about good enuff. but dont stop.

6. finally, use the scratchX (if u oredi got it) or plastX (preferred). the lenses shd be completely cleaned up and clear and smooth to the touch after this step. all ur scratches shd be gone, along with all but the deepest stone chips. not only that, they'll smell good, too (if u use plastX)! voila, new headlights at the cost of elbow grease!

good luck!

redd

disclaimer: redd makes or implies no warranties on this process. if it fecks up, ur on ur own buddy!

before - scratches, stone chips, chunks of lacquer peeling off, its a mess!

800 grit sandpaper - lacquer half gone - note the shadow:

1500 grit sandpaper - lacquer all gone - no shadow:

after - voila, the result speaks for itself!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great I'll give that look at.
Just want to get rid of the yellow Pussy Eye.

·
Registered
472 Posts
oh, u chaps may call sandpaper "wet & dry" over there. for step #2 (800 grit), u can do dry sanding first, and finish up with a couple rounds of wet. step #3 (1500 grit) should be done wet.

u can do step #6 (final step) with a power polisher/drill with a polishing attachment. the stuff is very mild.

good luck!

redd

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
DON'T put them in the oven, an easier and safer way is to use a screwdriver to prise apart light from the lens, but be careful when doing this as if you aint, you may crack/break the lens..

That WILL crack the lense every time.

The sealant needs to be softned first.

If you don't fancy baking them, use a heat gun but this can quickly melt the lense if you are not careful.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
That WILL crack the lense every time.

The sealant needs to be softned first.

If you don't fancy baking them, use a heat gun but this can quickly melt the lense if you are not careful.
I just cut through the sealant with a Stanly blade then Gently levered off (very gently).

I didn't like the idea of baking my headlights either!

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Do not bake the headlights!

(and yes I know this is old)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts