Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just noticed my N/S front dip headlamp bulb has blown. I've read the manual, which makes placement look quite straight forward.

Before I attempt to replace the bulb, I was wondering if there's anything I should be aware of that's not documented in the manual?

Cheers

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
try to hire a person with very tiny hands :p and keep the first aid kit ready....

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Easy as ****. Just start by removing the connector first and note it out the way. Push Clips towards lense and then sideways. Make sure you put replacement lamp the right way up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually did this on mine the other day and it is relatively quick and painless; there is a piece of plastic trim in the engine bay near the battery (at least on my T/S) that can be removed easily (two screws) so you can actually get your fingers where they need to be without removing all the skin on your knuckles - obviously a small mirror helps to see what you're doing.

Of course doing the sidelight bulbs is a completely different matter ...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys. The reason I ask is my 155 used to be a right ******** when it come to replacing the headlight bulbs. It had height adjustable lights (like my 156), which i mananaged to break after bulb replacement. The light i'd replaced the bulb in just didn't move up or down anymore. Hope I don't do the same thing to my 156!

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All done!

Prodman. The bulb has a flange with a flat on it. I orientated the flat (with tab) at the top, reconnected the harness and it worked!

:)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Actually did this on mine the other day and it is relatively quick and painless; there is a piece of plastic trim in the engine bay near the battery (at least on my T/S) that can be removed easily (two screws) so you can actually get your fingers where they need to be without removing all the skin on your knuckles - obviously a small mirror helps to see what you're doing.

Of course doing the sidelight bulbs is a completely different matter ...
i can second this removing the plastic makes it soooooo much easier, and the side light bulbs are a real ***** to get to, simpler once you had a go,

little tip turn the lights on and it helps by illuminating the inside of the lamp so you can see better, makes it easier if you're alone and don't have someone to hold a torch for you

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*UPDATE*

After replacing my N/S headlight bulb it has become apparent that the alignment of said light is off! Starting to think I've installed the bulb in the wrong orientation? The flange on the bulb has a flat along one side, i've oriented that to the top, is this right? Can anyone advise the correct orientation?

Cheers

·
Registered
116 Posts
Racer J

I noticed that when I did mine, which is why I posed the question.

I adjusted the alignment but find that the high beam seems to be directed more downwards lighting up the road brilliantly just in front of the car.

Surely someone knows the correct way of installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not such a bad job after all

I replaced the dipped beam bulb on my 2004 Alfa 156 yesterday and didn't find it such a bad job after all. There was no blood shed.

Here are the steps:
  1. Take off protector. It rotates.
  2. Take of electrical contacts.
  3. Unclip the clips. They are towards the top of the bulb. The wire on the right moves in and right while the wire on the left moves in and left. When the clip is released, it swings down.
  4. Remove the old bulb.
  5. Put in the new bulb, with the same alignment as the old one.
  6. Swing the clip back up and lock it in place.
  7. Attach the electrical contacts.
  8. Test.
  9. Put the protector back on.
  10. Celebrate.

·
Registered
222 Posts
*UPDATE*

After replacing my N/S headlight bulb it has become apparent that the alignment of said light is off! Starting to think I've installed the bulb in the wrong orientation? The flange on the bulb has a flat along one side, i've oriented that to the top, is this right? Can anyone advise the correct orientation?

Cheers
Pretty sure the tab goes at the bottom, sitting between the hinge/pivit point of the spring clip that holds the bulb in. Mind you thats on a facelift. Not sure if the pre differs at all. Try getting a mirror in behind the other headlamp to use as an example to copy.

You gotta love Alfas though... Where something as simple as changing a bulb is considered an achievement! (I've just had a similar achievement replacing the air filter!)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Pretty sure the tab goes at the bottom, sitting between the hinge/pivit point of the spring clip that holds the bulb in. Mind you thats on a facelift. Not sure if the pre differs at all. Try getting a mirror in behind the other headlamp to use as an example to copy.

You gotta love Alfas though... Where something as simple as changing a bulb is considered an achievement! (I've just had a similar achievement replacing the air filter!)
Tab at the top, even on the facelift...

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I replaced the dipped beam bulb on my 2004 Alfa 156 yesterday and didn't find it such a bad job after all. There was no blood shed.

Here are the steps:
  1. Take off protector. It rotates.
  2. Take of electrical contacts.
  3. Unclip the clips. They are towards the top of the bulb. The wire on the right moves in and right while the wire on the left moves in and left. When the clip is released, it swings down.
  4. Remove the old bulb.
  5. Put in the new bulb, with the same alignment as the old one.
  6. Swing the clip back up and lock it in place.
  7. Attach the electrical contacts.
  8. Test.
  9. Put the protector back on.
  10. Celebrate.
11. And don't touch the bulb glass, that will reduce it's life due to oil from the skin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts