Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So having daily driven my 156 2.4 Mjet for the past year, the flywheel has decided to give up (it had been noisy for a while), I have decided that the car will not be daily driven anymore so I am now left wondering whether I should just get rid of it or if I should restore it. There are a number of things wrong with the car other than the flywheel, the wishbones need changing and the brakes need doing amongst other things.

I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are really as I really am struggling to make a decision. I know financially it almost certainly makes sense to get rid of it, but I really do love the car an every time I go out and sit in it I just want to keep it.

Let me now what you guys think

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Depends how much needs doing. Brakes are just a consumable, wishbones one step up. Any other car of that age is likely to need similar attention.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Keep it. That said we've (me and the missus) just put the valves through all the pistons on her 916 Spider. I'm getting a replacement engine and when finished it'll cost more than the car is worth.

They're just so damn good so don't ask my opinion because it's biased.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,576 Posts
It is a bit of a hard decision though. I know someone who at the moment has a peach of a 156 for sale with a 2.5 busso. You will likely spend more than you can buy the car for!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Go with your heart. I think you know what you want to do. You just need some reassurance

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was in a similar dilema but decided to get rid and spend the money on a new car.....shame as ive grown fond of the old girl but it would cost far more than it would be worth.

Head won over heart..

·
Registered
296 Posts
It depends on what the cars overall condition is, the clutch flywheel will cost around £850. Front suspension around £550 and a full brake reline around £200 , if the rest of the car will do another 70000 miles then it's worth considering doing the work and keeping the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply's everyone.it is very much a case of needing some re-assurance haha nut i have to say most people that ive mentioned it to have been in favour of keeping it. As many of you have said it will definitely cost more than it is worth, (Despite the fact i picked it up very cheap) but i would'nt need to use the car any time soon so i would do as much of the work as possible on it myself, so i can't say i've made a definite decision yet but the cars not going just yet!

I should have probably put a few more details that are going to complicate things a bit, the car itself has done around 138k and the airbag light has decided to turn on permanently, there is also a few flatspots in the rev range around 3,000 in 3rd and 5th, so possibly a air flow sensor or dpf/egr problem, the bodywork has seen better days also.

on the plus side the interior is still quite clean and it is the red leather option and plus if i do get rid of it, it'll be my first time not owning an alfa and i don't like that thought.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
If you are moderately capable with spanners, then brakes are easy. Suspension a bit harder, but there are so many "how to" guides on here, it is a well trodden path. Clutch and flywheel .... I'd reserve that for the brave. I've done the job on a 2.5 and it was a brute.

Airbag light - several well known connectors give problems, multiecuscan is a good investment for eur 50.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
This whole question of spending more than the car is worth is a conundrum.

I know several people who achieve cheap motoring by buying very low cost cars, but who keep them going until there's a major, major problem. They spend more than the car's "value" on running costs every year.

Really what matters is how much you spend per annum, not what the resale value of the car is. And that annual cost should include depreciation, which of course you increase by replacing your car with a newer one. So there is a case for keeping an old car going, if it's fundamentally sound.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
This whole question of spending more than the car is worth is a conundrum.

I know several people who achieve cheap motoring by buying very low cost cars, but who keep them going until there's a major, major problem. They spend more than the car's "value" on running costs every year.

Really what matters is how much you spend per annum, not what the resale value of the car is. And that annual cost should include depreciation, which of course you increase by replacing your car with a newer one. So there is a case for keeping an old car going, if it's fundamentally sound or you just love it.
Fixed that for you :D

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
It depends on what the cars overall condition is, the clutch flywheel will cost around £850. Front suspension around £550 and a full brake reline around £200 , if the rest of the car will do another 70000 miles then it's worth considering doing the work and keeping the car.
I have heard that term used in many a year:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts