Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently aquired a 2003 156 GTA fully caged rolling Shell with the aim getting it back onto the race track

The engine was fitted last week and it's now currently moving under it's own power, and no its not a V6 :evil:

Lots of work yet to do as its quite untidy, but we will get there

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Its not a GTA at all though is it? It is just a "normal" 156 with a fiat 20v turbo.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I think the track GTA's were 2.0 so in some respects - this is more of a true GTA than the road going version!

Except that the track GTA's didn't have a 20v engine

however...I'm a purist....so I've looked away :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Rear wings confirm that it is a GTA shell to me.

Looks tatty but like there is a decent car lurking under there.

On a different note, there is a 145 with a coupe turbo (4 pot) lump in it on ebay. (Aj's)... If I had the money...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
LOL, some people I've come across are offended by it, but **** it, it was going to be crushed so I might as well give it a home and a heart transplant, the new engine is out of my old Fiat Coupe 20VT Race car, and is currently around 322bhp.

She is tatty at the moment alright Chris, but nothing that can't be cleaned up.

It was a GTA alright, I have seen it lap Mondello Park before the 3.2 engine was removed

Actually, you wouldn't believe how easily the 20VT engine went in, straight bolt in, no modifications required

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
How easy was the 20vt conversion. I've contemplated this swap for years, could never find much information about what's required.
Also tempted in my 156 but the GT 3.2 is draining me of funds. One for the future I think

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Did you keep the original GTA clocks, dash loom, fusebox etc? What did you do about fitting cable throttle pedal etc?

Going to be starting the same conversion soon, although the recipient car is a '51 plate 2.0 TS Sportwagon (CF3).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Really really want to do this to my 156. Am worried about 20v turbo engines becoming too rare. How much should I expect to pay for an engine and gearbox?

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Really really want to do this to my 156. Am worried about 20v turbo engines becoming too rare. How much should I expect to pay for an engine and gearbox?
You need a complete car. I bought one a few weeks ago from Glasgow with MOT until November for £850. Its a bit rough around the edges (needs respray) but drives reasonably well. Will make a perfect donor.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You need a complete car. I bought one a few weeks ago from Glasgow with MOT until November for £850. Its a bit rough around the edges (needs respray) but drives reasonably well. Will make a perfect donor.
In some ways it seems a shame to break a fiat coupe, I have a soft spot for them. Are you doing this for a customer or a project of your own?

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
In some ways it seems a shame to break a fiat coupe, I have a soft spot for them. Are you doing this for a customer or a project of your own?
My own. I love the 5cyl engine and I love the look of the Coupe, but I'm not all that much of a fan of the way they drive. A bit like a GTV V6 but not quite as good. 156/147/GT platform is vastly superior IMO.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My own. I love the 5cyl engine and I love the look of the Coupe, but I'm not all that much of a fan of the way they drive. A bit like a GTV V6 but not quite as good. 156/147/GT platform is vastly superior IMO.
I would love to have that transplant on my 156, would be interested to know how much work it is as I have no idea whether it will cost 2k or 10k!

In other news Loz says you are the guy to speak to re remapping my GT (driving amazing with wizard manifolds- sounds immense!). Where do I go? How much does it cost? Should I get any more mods done before the remap? Cheers!

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
I would love to have that transplant on my 156, would be interested to know how much work it is as I have no idea whether it will cost 2k or 10k!

In other news Loz says you are the guy to speak to re remapping my GT (driving amazing with wizard manifolds- sounds immense!). Where do I go? How much does it cost? Should I get any more mods done before the remap? Cheers!
Somewhere in between 2k & 10k I am sure! :)

Autolusso in Bedfordshire for V6 remapping, 01582 869560.

·
Registered
445 Posts
@ pud ... as others have mentioned this is something I've wanted to do for years. But I've no real mechanical skills, tools, time , space etc. Would you consider doing this for me for financial reward? If I provided the 156 & doner coupe 20vt....

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
@ pud ... as others have mentioned this is something I've wanted to do for years. But I've no real mechanical skills, tools, time , space etc. Would you consider doing this for me for financial reward? If I provided the 156 & doner coupe 20vt....
Being a garage owner, doing mechanical work for financial reward is my day job, so yes it could be done. :D

I wouldn't want to do the first one on a customer's cars because I bet there are going to be a lot of hours spent scratching heads but once I've done mine I'll be able to work out what it'd cost to do the conversion on a commercial basis for sure.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts