Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
156 GTA IMO. I have thought seriously about doing a GTA AM conversion but after looking long and hard the rear wing extensions of the GTA AM don't work for me. They break up the lines of the car too much and look like what they are - add ons. There is a GTA which has the Autodelta 156 GTA AM front end and standard GTA rear end and that looks pretty good IMO.

The cost of doing the conversion would be massively expensive as well and I think the 156 GTA is a pretty good proposition with the essential mods.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Administrator
47,053 Posts
This thread is meaningless without pictures. ;)

If the AM is the one I'm thinking of it looks like it's had some cardboard duck taped to the rear arches. The extensions don't follow the lines of the car at all, and look awful to me.

G

·

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I prefer the AD version, but that may be down to the pics being better. I think it's aggressive without losing the lines of the 156.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
The AM kit is a bit much for me !

·
Administrator
47,053 Posts
Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. Second link especially, as it stands out in red - that rear arch cover looks like something a 17 year old would attach to his clapped out Nova. Is it made of plywood? :lol:

G

·
Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. Second link especially, as it stands out in red - that rear arch cover looks like something a 17 year old would attach to his clapped out Nova. Is it made of plywood? :lol:
LOL, I'm afraid I agree although it is based on the original GTAm concept. I did think long and hard about it but at the end of the day it's a lot of money for something that doesn't look quite right IMO. And in some ways it devalues the GTA - although unique it's a bit of a kit car-ish approach. Better to spend the money on an AHM 3.8 and keep the original looks.....

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest, I was talking about the two cars in the pic attached.

I love the way the front end looks of the facelift front end. Giorgetto Giugiaro is the man when it comes to design. No offense to the original 156 design. Walter deSilva did a great job.
Although Giugiaro never really got the rear end of the facelifted front end completely right. Perhaps that was the reason Alfa never made a facelifted GTA.

So when I was a GTA AM on the Autodelta website, I was amazed. I thought it was perfect, except for one thing. The extensions to the rear doors and wings seem a bit funny. I guess they are needed if the rear is going to be as wide as the facelifted front end. So are they?

I saw Zeggi's car... If the front wheel arches wider than the rear on his GTA??? If not, problem solved.

I'll buy a front end and fit it on my car. :lol:

Attachments

G

·
the black one with the rear wing extensions that have a parallel line to the body line is beautiful :inlove:

The red one is spoilt by the odd line on the rear arch extension

G

·
To be honest, I was talking about the two cars in the pic attached.

I love the way the front end looks of the facelift front end. Giorgetto Giugiaro is the man when it comes to design. No offense to the original 156 design. Walter deSilva did a great job.
Although Giugiaro never really got the rear end of the facelifted front end completely right. Perhaps that was the reason Alfa never made a facelifted GTA.

So when I was a GTA AM on the Autodelta website, I was amazed. I thought it was perfect, except for one thing. The extensions to the rear doors and wings seem a bit funny. I guess they are needed if the rear is going to be as wide as the facelifted front end. So are they?

I saw Zeggi's car... If the front wheel arches wider than the rear on his GTA??? If not, problem solved.

I'll buy a front end and fit it on my car. :lol:
I used to think that way, prefering the facelift front end. I even bought the Cadamuro grille which gives a kind of facelift look. But I saw one on another car and it just spoils it IMO, so a while I went back to appreciating the original looks. IMO the original looks best. Zeggi's approach might be a good compromise if you like the facelift front because the Autodelta rear extensions really don't work IMO (the Alfa ones do). AFAIK he has the original rear end which seems to work in the photos.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to think that way, prefering the facelift front end. I even bought the Cadamuro grille which gives a kind of facelift look. But I saw one on another car and it just spoils it IMO, so a while I went back to appreciating the original looks. IMO the original looks best. Zeggi's approach might be a good compromise if you like the facelift front because the Autodelta rear extensions really don't work IMO (the Alfa ones do). AFAIK he has the original rear end which seems to work in the photos.

Cheers,

Nigel
Zeggi managed to put the front end without using the rear extensions, which I really like and would like to have on my car. He did it by not using the AD front wings so as to keep the original GTA lines.
Now my issue is, I want to use the front wings, but will that make my front end wider than the original rear end?

G

·
Zeggi managed to put the front end without using the rear extensions, which I really like and would like to have on my car. He did it by not using the AD front wings so as to keep the original GTA lines.
Now my issue is, I want to use the front wings, but will that make my front end wider than the original rear end?
Well, Zeggi's rear end looks original so perhaps you just need to flare out the front of the wings a bit to match the facelift nose. There was a thread somewhere on the forum IIRC about somebody (not Zeggi) who put a 159 front end on a 156 (with pics), but I couldn't find it I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
etcc/wtcc style, i like alot, prefer the older shape though:D

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I don't like the facelift front and that back looks rubbish IMO.

·
Vendor
46,591 Posts
Do you know what front wings Zeggi used, or did he just modify his original ones to fit the headlights?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts