Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering today what mods work well on a GTA? Bar going bigger cc or forced induction.

What kind f gains can you realistically see on a gta?

cheers
-pablo

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
If you were willing to go to 3.8L then serious power is possible (ie 400bhp), but that is a bit much for FWD!

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
LOL looking for more power pabs ??? Thinking much the same myself...If mine works out i am sure we could do you a good deal ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
the full stainless steel exhausts paired with a CDA cold air intake and a ecu remap are popular mods. depending on your budget really.

£4k would get you a supercharger conversion and 320bhp for example... or 300 for ecu remap could free up to 10, full exhaust another 5-6bhp and intake system 5-6bhp, total around 270bhp which lets face it is mean. that setup your looking about £1k maximum

·
Registered
396 Posts
My GTA now runs 311.5bhp on the rolling road and thats with a gsr induction kit full supersprint exhaust and a bespoke remap and it works very well

·
Registered
644 Posts
Plus the nesessary suspension upgrade to coilovers- around £1500 fitted?, brake upgrade (unless you already have 330mm discs/calipers) - another £1500 fitted?. LSD? another £1500 fitted? Better radiator and cooling?, better oil cooling?

Suddenly your £3k upgrade needs another £4.5k to £5.5k spend in order to make what you have done to the engine useable!! It's probably better tospend on the handling and stopping first, and then look at making the engine more powerful!

Cheers

Per

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Darth Vader said:
About £3500-£3750 but can still add a supercharger to take it further
311bhp would be nice but thats a bit rich for me mate.

as for brakes etc 330mm brembo 4pots surely are enough?

·
Registered
396 Posts
True Per the best mod i have had done is def the kw coilovers already got 330mm brakes but moving up to 355mm and an atb quaiffe diff is being paid for today

·
Registered
381 Posts
One thing to bear in mind is that any induction kit & re-map becomes redundant if you go the supercharged route ( or at least that's what it looks like to me ). The supercharger replaces the air intake and the engine needs bigger injectors and another re-map.

I was very sceptical of the supercharger until I happened to see a red supercharged car on the ramp at Autodelta. The car was partially dismantled and you could see all of the various components that get installed. Quite impressive.

I've had the induction kit and the re-map for about a year now, and am looking for the next step. I was thinking of a full supersprint exhaust, but that's about £3,000 so I really don't know what to do.

BTW, I'm in full agreement - coilovers first.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm not entirely sure what the power increase is as I haven't done the rolling road thing but it's much nicer to drive now.

It doesn't seem to have changed the top speed though, I managed 155 ( indicated ) before the re-map and couldn't get over 155 after ( both done outside the UK )

·
Registered
253 Posts
ukoldschool said:
and probably doesnt cost much less than a supercharger kit..... only with less power ;)
Would you really fit a super charger without upgrading the exhaust? I would have agrred in the days when Alfa built exhausts to the exhaust ports. Now they fit bodged pipes that scream out for upgrading.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
are there anyy cost effective alternatives to the supersprint exhaust?

which bits are most important? headers, cats etc?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The whole is important, as leaving 1 bottleneck in the line isn't going to be nearly as effective as a complete upgrade.

Removing (some of) the cats seems to be the #1 thing to do though

1 - 20 of 83 Posts