Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question - I am about to replace my tired (and now left rear collapsed) shocks with a set of KW V1 coilovers and am wondering what else would be worth replacing 'while Im in there'.

I am going to replace the front lower and upper arms with TRW parts and possibly the front drop links if required (these were replaced a couple of years ago but only done about 8K miles so should be ok for a bit longer)

I am basically wanting to avoid needing to pay for another 4 wheel alignment etc again in the near future. Do people replace the upper rubber support mounts and the rubber bearings or are they not required with the coilovers as in do they come with their own new mounts etc?

Rear transverse arms were also changed a couple of years ago so should still be fine and as far as Im aware are not a big job to do later on if needed.

Track rod ends?

Anything else im missing?

Cheers guys

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Replace front & rear top mounts, genuine Alfa only. They are not expensive, I keep them in stock too.

Rear transverse arms should be OK if changed previously but check you have the proper ones and not cheap black painted arms with terrible floppy rubber bushes.

Track rod ends seem to mostly last forever, so I wouldn't be too worried about those. Rear trailing arms are worth checking / changing, again I'd suggest genuine Alfa only for these. TRW is fine for front upper & lower wishbones. Rear droplinks maybe? Have the front anti roll bar bushes ever been done?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace front & rear top mounts, genuine Alfa only. They are not expensive, I keep them in stock too.

Rear transverse arms should be OK if changed previously but check you have the proper ones and not cheap black painted arms with terrible floppy rubber bushes.

Track rod ends seem to mostly last forever, so I wouldn't be too worried about those. Rear trailing arms are worth checking / changing, again I'd suggest genuine Alfa only for these. TRW is fine for front upper & lower wishbones. Rear droplinks maybe? Have the front anti roll bar bushes ever been done?
I know the front ones are only about £15 each but aren't the rear ones about £80 odd each?
I don't think the anti roll bar bushes have been done so might have a look at those as well

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Rear ones are quite dear. The aftermarket ones are no good though, so either replace them with genuine or don't replace them, you'll get away with a bit of slop in the rear top mounts as the weight of the car holds them in place. But the more play in the rear top mounts, the less well the shocks can work as they should.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rear ones are quite dear. The aftermarket ones are no good though, so either replace them with genuine or don't replace them, you'll get away with a bit of slop in the rear top mounts as the weight of the car holds them in place. But the more play in the rear top mounts, the less well the shocks can work as they should.
It might be you doing the job anyway if I can get the car over to you so you can see what they are like :biglaugh:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Question - I am about to replace my tired (and now left rear collapsed) shocks with a set of KW V1 coilovers and am wondering what else would be worth replacing 'while Im in there'.
Anything else im missing?
If coilovers fitted, its worth to note that corner weight balance must be done. I was amazed how much disbalanced a car might be after brand new top brand coils, even hights all 4 corners, but 100kg less weight on one front wheel.....
If driven hard, corner weight balance is a must......

Reactions: dabsafc

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
It might be you doing the job anyway if I can get the car over to you so you can see what they are like :biglaugh:
:lol:

More than happy to do the work, love a good GTA. :thumbs:

Do you want the KWs supplying as well? I'm a dealer for them, so can get decent discount. Although there have been other retailers offering some cracking deals lately, I always try and beat their prices if I can.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:lol:

More than happy to do the work, love a good GTA. :thumbs:

Do you want the KWs supplying as well? I'm a dealer for them, so can get decent discount. Although there have been other retailers offering some cracking deals lately, I always try and beat their prices if I can.
Yeah the price you quoted me a few weeks ago was the cheapest I have seen them anywhere.
I'll see how much I can get all the other bits for and if you're prices are similar you can just supply the lot.
Do the KW's take a couple of weeks to get hold of?

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Yes usually a couple of weeks from order to delivery. PM me the best prices you can find and I'll see what I can do. :thumbs:

·
Vendor
48,196 Posts
Here is a pic of that rear shock we were talking about today
To me that looks like an original 156 GTA rear shock, the part number confirms it too. But given the problems you're having, I can't imagine what could be causing it other than an issue with the shock itself. Do you have a photo of the clearance on the other side?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To me that looks like an original 156 GTA rear shock, the part number confirms it too. But given the problems you're having, I can't imagine what could be causing it other than an issue with the shock itself. Do you have a photo of the clearance on the other side?
Car is in storage but if i get chance i'll try and get a look at the other side. Like you say it must be the shock as both garages couldn't get the wheel back on :thinking:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.