Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Trying to solve an issue with can line fault. Acc. To MES, i have no communication between abs unit, selespeed unit and engine ecu. I an following the wiring diagrams in elearn, and see that the can line are connected via the steering angle sensor. Can anyone tell me have to change this? Or how to check if its working? Where is it located? Its not the same as the ones I seen for earlier 156.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Steering wiring sensor is wiring cassette in front of steering wheel.
Check it is working with diagnostics such as MES. I'd check ABS system and look at live data.

GTA steering rack is different to non GTA ones. 2.1 turns lock to lock instead of 2.2.

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
Steering angle sensor is screwed to the stalks, so you need to remove airbag and steering wheel to gain access. Only 156s from 2002 onwards (facelift interior) have them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check it is working with diagnostics such as MES. I'd check ABS system and look at live data.

GTA steering rack is different to non GTA ones. 2.1 turns lock to lock instead of 2.2.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies! Pls look at the photos, on my car it looks like a blue relay are in the place where the steering angle sensor should be..? Is it a different type for the 156 gta?

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
Have you taken your steering wheel off yet for a proper look? I've never seen a GTA without a steering angle sensor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im sure its there, but it doesnt look like the one in the first picture. I am not able to check it with MultiEcuScan. I will take the steering wheel off to check it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

in quite sure the syeering rack is the same, but due to wider wheels the turning circle is larger at the gta. Steering is limited by stops

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you taken your steering wheel off yet for a proper look? I've never seen a GTA without a steering angle sensor.
took off the steering wheel, looks like this, cant see the sensor, is it another place?!

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
Its missing! Do you know for sure these are the original stalks?

(EDIT: Is there a button on the end of the indicator stalk which operates the infocentre?)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, think so, are u sure the first gtas had the sensor? Its an abs bosch 5.3 system on it,

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
I thought I was sure, until you posted that photo. Perhaps the 156 GTA, because it doesn't have VDC (only ASR), doesn't have a steering angle sensor? I have broken a few GTAs and I would have thought I would have remembered that they didn't have steering angle sensors, but maybe not.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
A steering angle sensor is only used in conjunction with stability systems such as VDC.
What is the fault again, please?

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
Acc. To MES, i have no communication between abs unit, selespeed unit and engine ecu.
Does it start?

Which ECUs can you communicate with and which ones are not responding:?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hello! I can communicate with all ECUs; ABS, Selespeed and engine. For the engine there are no Errors. The ABS module, Can network fault, no communication with engine ECU. The Selespeed ECU has the following errors: U1701 - CAN Network (NCR-NCM) and P1760 - Brake Pedal Switch. I have changed the brake switch, no difference. According to elearn the van lines are wired through the steering angle sensor, so thats why I was looking for that. I checked the can line connection between the components, and it seems to be fine. The car doesnt start, the code light is on. unable to chnage gear as well. A very dead GTA!

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
329 Posts
I would start at the very basics. Does it have spark, and does the engine get fuel?

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
Can you connect to the immobiliser code box?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts