Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone interested in this 156 GTA Sportwagon as a fixer-upper before it gets broken for spares? I've checked it out and it needs the front wing & front door replacing, possibly the hinge which bolts to the pillar, but the pillar itself is good, not even any paint damage. Car is a Cat C write off - I have the logbook, but no history. Previous owner was a member on here and put a replacement engine with new cambelt/tensioner/waterpump last year, also a clutch IIRC.

Mileage is in the 80s (I will check). Don't think it has a Q2, brakes are 305s. Colour is 694 Grigio Sterling, interior is black & blue GTA seats with all the usual heated/electric features, BOSE, cruise etc. Mtech short shifter fitted. 17" Teledials in anthracite.

Other than the crash damage, the radiator is corroded and missing fins but not leaking, will need doing before summer. It also has a blow from one of the flexis.

If anyone is interested please send me a PM, I'm interested in sensible offers or possibly another Alfa in part ex.

I've also listed it on Pistonheads, you can see photos there:

Used 2003 Alfa Romeo 156 V6 24V GTA for sale in Cumbria | Pistonheads

Also, it appears to be the only 156 GTA Sportwagon for sale in the whole country at the moment!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Would certainly be a pity to break that car for spares. Don't do it!

The main problem would be to find that fender, as it's a GTA-specific item. A door would be easy to find - probably even already painted in the same colour.

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a used wing from another 156 GTA Sportwagon I broke up last year, in great condition, no rust..

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
very tempted ...........................

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
If you do break it Dan, please can I speak to you about the driver's seat?....not trying to egg you on to break it... but heyho...

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'll bear you in mind if I do break it. Would like to see it saved, it doesn't really need much, just a bit of the usual love that GTAs require, plus a wing and a door. Half the 156 GTAs in the country need wings anyway and doors are no different to standard 156 doors, so not really a bad job. I reckon it'l' probably be broken one way or the other though.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Questions:

Is the cat c a result of the damage shown, or something else?

Is it driveable (with a light wallop on the jagged bits of the door) - specifically would it be drive able for 250 miles?

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you decide to break i'd be interested in the gearbox and rear centre exhaust pipe section if in good condition.

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Questions:

Is the cat c a result of the damage shown, or something else?

Is it driveable (with a light wallop on the jagged bits of the door) - specifically would it be drive able for 250 miles?
Yes, cat C as the result of this crash at the back end of last year. It drives fine - after the assessment the previous owner drove it to me from Glasgow, and I did about 10 miles in it too just taking it from my house where it was dropped off over to my work. Sharp bits could be cut off with an angle grinder and then a bit of silver gaffer tape over what's left, that's what I'd do before taking it on a long journey. I don't think it has much potential for fixing up and selling immediately which is why I'm not doing that myself, but if you're thinking about fixing it with the intention of keeping it and using it then it's probably going to be the cheapest SW around for some time. Have you got a door already? I've got a spare GTA wing...

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Do you have a door?
Price with wing?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Pud,

Again hope this does not get broken BUT if it does can I have the drivers side interior plastic sill cover thing (if it isnt damaged):biglaugh:

Regards

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Excellent news RXE
I take it you have purchased so nice one.
Not sure if you have seen in person, but i can say the car drives really well, and better than i was expecting.
Obviously it does need alot of work, i chose it was too much for me considering the portfolio of projects i am currently working on.
Will make a great SW GTA once its had some work.
Best of luck
I will be following the rebuild thread for sure ;)

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Well, it will have to wait its turn in the queue for the full rebuild experience, but I am not overly worried by the damage it has. Door is easy - there is one in the right colour on eBay at the moment, already stripped down. The wing is also pretty simple, but made more complex by the fact it is GTA specific - so we'll have to go with the one Pud has and get the paint out.

The listed problems are not scary - radiator, downpipes, all "one afternoon" jobs. If it drives well, that's half the battle.

I think it can be put back into reasonable order quite quickly, getting it perfect will no doubt take a lot longer!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Nice one

·
Registered
948 Posts
Looking forward to the thread with photos if possible!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts