Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted in other threads about my issues with rust and have become aware that Bazza and EddieGTA have a similar issue.

I dropped the GTA off this morning for a new wing (gulp) courtesy of Alfa and the dealer told me that they have another GTA come in with rust in the exact same place, also a 53 plate.

Is there a wider problem here?

Both mine and the other at the dealers are 53 plates and the rust is on the drivers side front wing (see image below). Mine is a sportwagon I think the other is a saloon.

Eddie and Bazza which wing is it?

I have heard of other manufacturers having issues with the kit that presses the wings resulting in a batch of bad wings, could this be the story here?

If you have a 156 GTA thats around 4 years old you might like to drop the splash guard and inspect the rear of the wing, the issue only shows once the rust has eaten through the wing.:(

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have posted in other threads about my issues with rust and have become aware that Bazza and EddieGTA have a similar issue.

I dropped the GTA off this morning for a new wing (gulp) courtesy of Alfa and the dealer told me that they have another GTA come in with rust in the exact same place, also a 53 plate.

Is there a wider problem here?

Both mine and the other at the dealers are 53 plates and the rust is on the drivers side front wing (see image below). Mine is a sportwagon I think the other is a saloon.

Eddie and Bazza which wing is it?

I have heard of other manufacturers having issues with the kit that presses the wings resulting in a batch of bad wings, could this be the story here?

If you have a 156 GTA thats around 4 years old you might like to drop the splash guard and inspect the rear of the wing, the issue only shows once the rust has eaten through the wing.:(
ive got a small amount of bubbling on the inside edge underneath the wing, gonna have to do something bout it!!!

what is the warranty standing as regards paint and rust.

is it 3 year paint warranty and 10 yr anti perf?

ET

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The paint work warranty is 3 years the anti perforation warranty is 8 years but you have to have inspections done at the dealer and your books stamped up at 3 and 5 years.

My issue showed inside of three years and was treated under the paintwork warranty with a sand and spray fix. The rust has come back and now its on the anti perforation warranty because of the significant amount of rust behind the wing.

Alfa were not that forthcoming about honouring the repair either!

E

·
0 Posts
Thats the spot on mine exactly, will try and snap it tonight and post a pic. Mine is a bit worse though, and is on the near side wing on mine.

·
Banned
273 Posts
Sad to hear this.
Have 6 years warranty from Alfa on the 147 but even though corrossion is not a problem in South Africa I had the car fully 9chassis/body/engine/interior etc) WAXOYL'd from new, 10 year guarrantee. I'm glad I did that now, especially with shipping the car to Europe in early 2008.
Monstro

·
Administrator
46,324 Posts
Mine's exactly the same spot, except it's the passenger side. It's worse too, one 5p sized bubble.

That reminds me, I still need to get back to Mango's, since they haven't got back to me yet.

In a way, this is good news for me. There's a possibility they could try not to cover me under warrantee - I have no idea if the relevant inspections were done - but the fact that it does have a fully AR main dealer stamped book, and that this is clearly a manufacturing issue, stand in my favour I think.

E

·
0 Posts
Mine's exactly the same spot, except it's the passenger side. It's worse too, one 5p sized bubble.

That reminds me, I still need to get back to Mango's, since they haven't got back to me yet.

In a way, this is good news for me. There's a possibility they could try not to cover me under warrantee - I have no idea if the relevant inspections were done - but the fact that it does have a fully AR main dealer stamped book, and that this is clearly a manufacturing issue, stand in my favour I think.
I think with my service when they inspected I got a sheet going in to detail the inspection that was done to the bodywork/paintwork. sounds like you have exactly the same as me bazza, mine is about the size of a 5p on the passenger wing, maybe a bit bigger.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So its clearly a significant issue and it can be either side!

I have asked the dealer to check the inside of my nearside wing, maybe its a design fault rather than a faulty batch of panels?

·
Administrator
46,324 Posts
Rang Mangos and 'warrantee Jim' is on holiday. I have to ring back on Monday.

BTW, I checked the drivers side reasonably thoroughly (as far as possible without removing trim) and it seems fine.

N

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem on the passenger's side wing and i had already the drivers wing replaced with a new one at an independant bodyshop. On inspection of the old wing i saw that there is a bracket braised on the wing and it is then e-coated on top. The rust starts at the braising and therefore it is a manufacturers issue. The first one i paid 600pounds to have it replaced, but i'm not going to pay again for the other wing. So i might pursue the warranty route. It is indeed very dissapointing to have these problems.

K

·
0 Posts
Just been out and checked mine and I have the same problem more so on the drivers side but not on the outside edge only on the inner edge were the paint has worn off!:rant: Further more it seems the problem is the plastic wheel arch liner (combined with muck, grit ect) rubbing the paint off the inside of the wing thus rusting through the panel over time, you can see this with a torch and mirror. So I would say it’s a design flaw that needs addressing and maybe trimming the wheel arch liner so it can’t rub the wing?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think I have a similar rust bubble on my drivers side wheel arch, but it is a little further up the arch. I'll have to check this out!

Cheers

Per

F

·
0 Posts
I have rust spots on the rear wheel arches in a similar place. I'll have to check the fronts now as well.... '52 plate, but previous owner didn't do the three year check so I'm stuffed warranty wise.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It's a pity to see that rust is still a problem...
If VW can give us a 12 year guarantee on rust on a POLO, why cant Alfa get something right...

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Dang blasted salt again!:mad: Right, it's off with those wheel arch liners, and on with that waxoyl. Although, she is sorne'd until May 2008, so hopefully?:):

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
One tiny bubble on the drivers side arch.

Starting to look like an epidemic though...

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
Is the Salt due to the snow?
Sorry asking, but we dont have snow here.
More ice than snow.
In some countries salt is spread on the roads to lower the melting point of the ice.

Snow is actually fine to drive on. The problem in the UK is that is isn't really cold enough and any snow soon melts slightly turning to slush then freezes again at night producing an icy surface that you can't drive on at all.

1 - 20 of 310 Posts