Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone show me a photo of the inside of their boot, carpet pulled back showing the strut tops up close please?

the more the merrier, especially after pics of cars with autodelta coilovers but standard will be fine.

may have found the issue with mine, need to compare to another car to be sure though.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
jamhot's pics are what i was after. cheers!

if weight is put in the boot, is that rubber meant to rise off the strut?
IIRC the rubber doesnt touch the strut tower, it seems to be there just to stop the strut from dropping out when you jack the car up.

The strut itself doesnt rise or fall when you add weight to the boot, the top of the strut has a rubber mount which is a tight fit into the underside of the strut tower. The rubber that you see inside the car just screws onto the damper piston and doesnt touch the body work.

I dont have coil overs but this is how it is on a standard setup

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
If your rubber is rising up then there may be a problem with the rubber mount in the underside.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of the suspension layout.

The first pic shows the parts that make up the rear suspension. Part 4 is the part which locates into the underside of the strut tower. In the 2nd pic, part 2 is the rubber 'washer' that you see inside the car. On my car it doesnt touch the strut tower but just sits on top of the damper rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pascs - yes, in the 2nd pic part 2 moves when weight is loaded into the boot.

Here's my dilemma. i don't know what's wrong. A respected, knowledgeable, experienced and reputable group of people have told me one thing, and a respected, knowledgeable, experienced and reputable garage is telling me something else.

example. pre-load. should be adjusted with the car up, wheels off, and dampers fully extended. yes or no? people say yes, garage says no, it should be done on the floor.

if it is the top mounts i'll be disappointed as i should have been told when the coilovers were fitted - no knocking before, knocking after. the coilovers themselves do not appear to be faulty.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts