1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Im considering lowering my 156 GTA.

Im looking at the following:

Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs 45-50 mm (Alfa 156) from Gazzella for £149 +VAT

or

NOVITEC 156 springs about 45 mm lower 2.4JTD/2.5 V6/GTA for £120 + Delivery.

Which ones would you guys recommend? For use with standard shocks until I can save for some koni shocks.

Thanks in advance.

Otis

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mate im told the standard springs are superb but its the shocks that are not up to the job.

But saying that you want the car lower so your doing springs first...... Id do it the other way my Koni sports didnt really drop the car alot as I think they sit low as it is.

But id do the Eibachs from your choice of 2 there.

Koni's??? KONI / Sport Springs / Alfa Romeo 156 / Euro Performance Car Parts

·
Vendor
46,581 Posts
You can't lower the car 45mm on standard shocks, they are weak enough as it is without having their operating length halved or worse. You will smash something on the first hidden dip you get to, if its not the front bumper it'll be the sump or the downpipe..

If you must lower it and can't afford to change the shocks, then get Eibach Pro springs which will drop it approx 30mm.

G

·
the eibach prokit springs made pretty much no difference to the ride height on mine, i assume because the original springs were worn and sagging....

·
Vendor
46,581 Posts
the eibach prokit springs made pretty much no difference to the ride height on mine, i assume because the original springs were worn and sagging....
How many miles have you done since fitting? Mine settled a fair bit lower than the initial measurements, about 7mm if I remember rightly..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the response guys.

Im just trying to achieve more of a lower, meaner look. More touring car like.

What shocks would I need to get, that could handle a 45mm drop?

·
Vendor
46,581 Posts
If you are looking at lowering that much you should get coilovers.

·
Vendor
46,581 Posts
Rubber pads out!
:hmm:

I left the rubber pad in when I did mine, even though the bottom of the spring is sleeved. Most of the ones we've done at work we've left the pads in, but one or two have asked for the pads to be left out. The pad is almost 5mm thick so thats going to make some difference.

The Eibach Pro springs seem to lower the 147 GTA more than the 156 GTA, not sure why this is? It is quite noticeable on the 147s, how much lower they sit at the front with Eibachs in..

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Do the springs sit ok on the dampers with the pad in?..........I guess they must or you wouldnt do it :lol:

I'm forever scraping the bottom of my Zender front spoiler, getting it repainted next week so might need to raise it 5mm :p

I had it in my mind that the 147 couldnt be lowered too much because of a regulation on the indicators or lights, maybe only applied to the standard 147?

·
Vendor
46,581 Posts
Do the springs sit ok on the dampers with the pad in?..........I guess they must or you wouldnt do it :lol:
Yeah they sit fine, just the same as with the standard springs on.. My own car still has the pads in on the front and rear.

I had it in my mind that the 147 couldnt be lowered too much because of a regulation on the indicators or lights, maybe only applied to the standard 147?
Yeah, I think its one of those 'type approval' things though, so it matters for the cars when they are new and being manufactured but not when they are already on the road, otherwise every lowered 147 would fail its test.. :lol:

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've just recieved my Eibach's from Autolusso, but I'm not so sure whether to remove the pads or not.
Are there pads in front as well as back? Its a 156 GTA.

I'm also going for the 'touring' look. Got my spacers as well.

So, should I keep the pads or not? I'm a little confused about this :confused:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
With the Eibach front springs you have a plastic tube over the spring. When I tried to fit the Eibach spring and the pad the spring wouldnt sit correctly so I didnt fit it. Supposedly the rubber tube is designed to stop the spring from squeaking and it sits perfectly on the damper.

I attached a couple of pics which might help. You can see the pad fitted on the yellow damper (Bilstein with Sport Pack springs). The pad fits under the spring but also up around the collar of the damper (the bit 1" up from the spring pan) thus making the collar wider - the Eibach spring was too thick to fit over the collar and pad

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hello guys,

Im considering lowering my 156 GTA.

Im looking at the following:

Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs 45-50 mm (Alfa 156) from Gazzella for £149 +VAT

or

NOVITEC 156 springs about 45 mm lower 2.4JTD/2.5 V6/GTA for £120 + Delivery.

Which ones would you guys recommend? For use with standard shocks until I can save for some koni shocks.

Thanks in advance.

Otis
try these LOWTEC Sportsystems *** Wir stehen auf Kurven ***
i had them on my last car, they are fantastic, plus the springs are WHITE, they look cool :)

·
Vendor
46,581 Posts
I've just recieved my Eibach's from Autolusso, but I'm not so sure whether to remove the pads or not.

I kept them on my 156 V6. Eibach Pro springs and 156 GTA Koni FSDs.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts

I just took measurements now of my V6 with Eibachs and FSDs

Front wheel centre to wheel arch 34cm. Ground to wheel arch 64cm

Rear wheel centre to wheel arch 35cm. Ground to wheel arch 66cm

This is with 50% worn 225/45 tyres on GTA alloys and the suspension on for a couple of months

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ok, I just measured mine :eek:

Its completely standard suspension, half worn tyres, 2002, 90 000km, pretty full on fuel with a sub and box in the boot:

Front wheel centre straight up to wheel arch 35.5cm. Ground to wheel arch 65.5cm

Rear wheel centre straight up to wheel arch 35.5cm. Ground to wheel arch 66.5cm

Is it true that there are eibach springs specific for GTA which are lower than the eibachs specified for 156 V6 etc. ???

I want to go a little lower than what you got Pascs :(

Lemi

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just had a look at the eibach box and the part number is E1021-140, which is correct, but it says 'Sportwagon'.

Also, I read somewhere that the 'Pad' we're taling about is designed by AR to minimise noise when driving over rough roads

1 - 20 of 44 Posts