Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't suppose anyone has a 'fix&go' kit for sale. The puncture repair kit that Alfa Romeo supplied when you had the 330 brakes upgrade as the spare tyre originally supplied didn't fit anymore.
I found this out the hard way!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
It still fits on the back. A bit more faffing about moving the front to the rear and putting the rear in the back but better than a kit IMO.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers fellas :thumbup:
Thats what I had to do when I got a puncture the other day hyperlink, but I broke the little wheel brace that comes with the jack kit in the process then found out that a friend of mine (who also has a 156 GTA) hasn't got the spare wheel, it's this 'fix&go' kit. It looked ever so neat and tidy!!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Ideally in a puncture situation, you want the spare wheel option first, and only the fix and go as a last resort - therefore carry both !

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
fix and go means you can throw away your tire afterwards, and also won't help for anything more then a slow leak ......
Spare tire is still the only "safe" option ....

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
How did you break the wheel brace???

Assuming it was the genuine article and not some pot-metal replacement that some previous owner had put it.

I have bent a cheap pot-metal wheel brace before, but I can't see how anyone who isn't Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson is going to be able to bend the geniune wheel brace supplied by Alfa without using a long extension bar.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
How did you break the wheel brace???

Assuming it was the genuine article and not some pot-metal replacement that some previous owner had put it.

I have bent a cheap pot-metal wheel brace before, but I can't see how anyone who isn't Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson is going to be able to bend the geniune wheel brace supplied by Alfa without using a long extension bar.
The factory wheel braces are terrible. The cast bit at the end that grips the head of the bolt just split if you get a particularly tight wheel bolt. I'm sure the mountain could squeeze one into a little ball if he tried to :D

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hmmm, there must be different ones then, as the one I have (it's definitely a genuine Alfa part) has no "cast bit at the end". It's all one piece of steel - a pipe with an expanded hexagonal end after the bend.

I once bought one from a general autoparts shop. It was cast pot-metal. I twisted it like a piece of liquorice when I actually used it, and I'm definitely not the world's strongest or heaviest guy. Luckily it wasn't in an emergency situation. Took it back and showed the parts place the bent brace and they did give me my money back. I couldn't get them to remove the remaining braces from sale, even though they agreed that selling them would probably be safety hazard. Especially in South Africa, where it does happen that people get attacked by robbers after breaking down along roads in certain areas.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The factory wheel braces are terrible. The cast bit at the end that grips the head of the bolt just split if you get a particularly tight wheel bolt. I'm sure the mountain could squeeze one into a little ball if he tried to :D
Thats what happend pud, worst thing is it marked the wheel when it split!! :censored:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
A spare/space saver and an extendable wheel brace are the way forward :thumbup:
Having said that my extendable wheel brace is in the Mondeo, but I know that my wheel bolts on the GTA aren't over tightened, so the standard brace should be up to the job. Always best to check the pressure in the spare tyre when you do your weekly, monthly (whatever it happens to be)
checks too.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I'm going to have a look at mine now, just to make sure mine isn't this strange cast part.

I bought it directly from an Alfa dealership and I have used it a few times and never had any issues, even when struggling a bit with the occasional over-tightened wheel bolt.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
My OEM brace split as Pud says. Rubbish things. I now have a breaker bar in the boot with nice high quality socket on the end (19mm and 17mm) - as locking wheel nut I have is a 19mm, whilst the other bolts are all 17mm?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Ah, I went to have a look at mine and I realise that I was thinking of a different one that I had in another car that was good steel pipe with an expanded end.
The Alfa one, part number looks like 14533431, indeed looks like it is made from a casting. It has worked well even on over-tight bolts before, though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just be aware the cast ones are pants and will split if you're nuts are too tight! Excuse the pun!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts