Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just over the past week or so, once up to full running temperature, my GTA's revs have started to drop below normal tick- over when coming to a halt. When coming to a halt after a prolonged period at speed, it has actually stalled a couple of times. When it stalls, it throws the "Get engine checked" warning, but restarts fine and does not store any errors. (The only stored error is that there is an issue with one cooling fan...this is a long-standing issue, where both fans kick in at the same time).

Apart from the fan, I haven't had any issues (electronic or mechanical) up to now (I've had the car for fifteen years), but am wondering if this is an indication that the ecu is starting to play up.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
That doesn't sound like the normal symptoms of ECU failure to be honest. I'd be thinking something along the lines of MAF, coil packs, plugs etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - MAF was my first thought too, but it had a new one about 20K ago (although, to be fair, that was several years ago, so it could be time for another one). Nice to know its not a typical ECU omen.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Without knowing how the car is maintained I can only guess. But I would have a look at the throttle body. Give it a clean if it has not been cleaned for some time.

Any recent work done? Perhaps something wasn't put back quite correctly for instance.

·
Vendor
45,944 Posts
Check for air leaks - the concertina on the under-side of the throttle body intake pipe could be split.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks both, it could certainly be the concertina, which is still original, maybe cracked due to temp changes through the winter. I'll check it out.

With the exception of when it needed a new MAF & Lambdas at about 80K, it has been 100% reliable and smooth running throughout my ownership, so I got a bit "glass half full" when it started to stutter at tickover and my thoughts turned to the ECU.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
... I've had the car for fifteen years ...
Good to hear from someone who has had a GTA for so long.
I parted with mine, a 156 Selespeed, after 13 years and 176,000 miles only because I changed to a Giulia Quadrifoglio. I do wish I had sufficient space to have kept the GTA.
I had an ECU failure with symptoms completely different from yours. Clicking noises when switching ignition on and failure to start.
If my experience is anything to go by, ECU failure is catastrophic, or at least intermittently so, and not a degradation as you describe.
As others have said, either a MAF, ducting or sensor failure is the most likely cause.
And you say no logged errors except the fan? What are you using? MES?
I did have several coil packs fail. Have you needed to change any in 15 years?
Good luck!
PS Where are you located?
Andy

Reactions: maxiboy wales

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Andy, yes - the GTA is definitely a "keeper" and I'm relieved to hear my symptoms aren't typical of ECU issues. Thinking back, they are a bit similar to when the MAF and Lambda's were replaced, so I'll check the state of the throttle body and for cracks in the trunking, then get the car in to be checked out. I think a couple of coil packs have been replaced over the years, but some are probably still original.

I'm just using a generic EOBD tool, but it normally picks up anything engine ECU related.

I must admit, I'm starting to look at Guilia QV's, but if I go ahead, it would definitely be in addition to the GTA, rather than instead of it. I can't really justify the Alfa's I already have, so adding another will definitely have to stay on the back-burner for now.

I'm located near Westerham on the Kent/Surrey border.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts