Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a standard exhaust knocking around that they no longer need? I just need the backbox really, it needs to be useable, not blowing/rattling, but I don't mind a bit of surface rust.

I already have a spare 147 GTA backbox & a spare GT 3.2 backbox but neither of them are the same as 156 GTA.

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, its an option if I can't find one in the UK.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 156 GTA sportwagon stock exhaust Cat-back in my shed if you want it. It?s pretty ropey, but no leaks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Are you thinking of making a Wizard reproduction Pud? I'd be interested, I'm not sure the Supersprint (non loop) brings out the best of the engine note.

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've recently made a prototype of a new 156 GTA backbox, we've copied the original end plates which are a funny rounded-off triangle shape and has these custom pressed, this gives us pretty much the biggest volume box to work with. Inside we've gone with a similar design to the original Alfa box but gotten rid of the restrictive parts :)

We're going to be testing it and finishing off tailpipe/hanger locations on a 156 GTA hopefully soon, then we can finish our jig and order materials so we can go into production. It will be ideal for those that want something similar to standard, or those running cat-less that still want it reasonably old-neighbour-friendly.

Andy does your box rattle if you shake it?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
when someone swaps from a full loud wizard system to a neighbour friendly option please keep me in mind as i want a loud wizard for my 156 ;)

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when someone swaps from a full loud wizard system to a neighbour friendly option please keep me in mind as i want a loud wizard for my 156 ;)
To be fair, those GTAs with Wizard manifolds, standard downpipes & standard mid cats, our cat-back system doesn't make them all that loud if you go with the silenced middle pipe rather than straight through. Its just without that bit of packing in the mid section to absorb the harsh metallic notes, they end up resonating in the rear section and come out even louder. On a car with 4 cats, silenced mid section is not needed as the cats do enough to keep the volume down.

I'm sure this new one is going to be other end of the spectrum to what we currently make, although there really is no way of telling until its fitted and fired up. We prototype might not be how we end up building them, we may have to tweak chamber sizes inside the box in response to free-flowing the internals, at the moment we've kept them the same sizes as they were in the Alfa box. We'll see.

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If its not blowing & doesn't rattle then yes I would like it, thanks :)

Only issue is getting it to me, you're over in cambridgeshire aren't you?

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll try and find one a bit closer to home, it's probably not worth the effort packing & couriering a backbox on its last legs. Thanks anyway.

Sorry to hear of your issues with Rustbuster by the way, not the first I've heard unfortunately.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts