Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 156 GTA is now due a cambelt change and is the first task on my mechanical 'to do' list.

Has anyone had theirs done lately and if so what did they pay?

I am informed by you knowledgeable lot that I should undertake the following -

[
  • B]cambelt/tensioners/idlers/water pump with metal impeller[/B]
  • also should I make sure the gaskets (rocker cover, spark plug) and aux belts get done as well?

[*]also should I make sure I get the coolant changed as well
  • also are there any other jobs/parts taht I should consider replacing/renewing when I get the timing belt done?
I am told its an all day job and I have been getting quotes (some quotes where I need to remortgage the house!!) from a number of places, but was wondering what others have paid. I understand that parts listed above alone can cost up to £450 inc VAT, so I suppose its the labour costs that will add up.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Well I paid £550 for the full cambelt change, metal water pump, aux belt and for all new spark plugs :D

PS - That was at AforAlfa :)

Edited as I got the price wrong :lol:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
You tried MVC in Sale?

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
...£550...thats sound you got a very good deal there...where are they based buddy??
His prices are always top notch as well, cheaper than anywhere around ;)

His based in Aylesbury, Bucks. So you could still drive down, wait for him to do it and drive back...still would be cheaper :lol:

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
They're in Aylesbury, Bucks. and may be on here as registered traders.

If you need to kill some time while your car is being done you could visit there:

Tring | Natural History Museum

keithy on here that's just got a GTA has used Peak Alfa before I think. They may be nearer.

C

·
0 Posts
Hello all,

My 156 GTA is now due a cambelt change and is the first task on my mechanical 'to do' list.

Has anyone had theirs done lately and if so what did they pay?

I am informed by you knowledgeable lot that I should undertake the following -

[
  • B]cambelt/tensioners/idlers/water pump with metal impeller[/B]
  • also should I make sure the gaskets (rocker cover, spark plug) and aux belts get done as well?

[*]also should I make sure I get the coolant changed as well

• also are there any other jobs/parts taht I should consider replacing/renewing when I get the timing belt done?
I am told its an all day job and I have been getting quotes (some quotes where I need to remortgage the house!!) from a number of places, but was wondering what others have paid. I understand that parts listed above alone can cost up to £450 inc VAT, so I suppose its the labour costs that will add up.

Thanks
It takes around 10 hours to change the cam belt.

I'd ask them to check the water pump to see if it has a metal impellor and and replace it if its a plastic one. Yes it'll cost an extra hours labour but if you don't know for sure then its worthwhile checking it.

Idlers, tensioner and cam belt should all be replaced.

The aux belt idlers, belt and tensioner can be replaced seperately at no significant labour cost. It's pretty obvious when you look at them if they're worn out.

The cam cover gaskets are expensive and can be reused. It's worthwhile replacing them for peace of mind if you're not much of a diy-er though.

Spark plug replacement takes an hour. If you have no recipts to suggest that they have been done within the last 40k then you may as well add them to your list.

If you have the water pump checked, they'll have to drain the cooling system.

http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51096

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Make sure they have the 3.2 timing blocks. They are different from the 3.0's. The 3.0's still work but the car will be down on power :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
He is on the 155 forum. :thumbs:

He's a good guy. He's (wait for it) My mates, wifes, sisters husband :lol:
Yeah I know, weve met a couple of times I think, I was just making a point joss.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa
AforAlfa are not registered traders on alfaowner

He is on the 155 forum. :thumbs:

Originally Posted by Chris155
they mustn't be trustworthy then!!!!

He's a good guy. He's (wait for it) My mates, wifes, sisters husband :lol:
:cheese:,in any case is going to cost the guy £100 in fuel to get there and back in a GTA:lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Had mine done for £570 a couple of years ago included GTV water pump, all idlers + cambelt and tensioner using GTA locks and TDC gauge.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Good deal that JR :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts