Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this and other (Dutch) forums for the problem I have with my 156 GTA build in phone. I have the stereo, navigation and phone unit. It has the small display, but not the number keypad on the right.

The problem:
My Vodafone sim worked without a problem. I ordered a duo-sim and received two new sim-cards. Both do no work. The displays stays on the message: Searching network... The strange thing is that it is already connected because when I call my mobile the car phone rings and I can pick up the incoming call. After hanging up the displays goes back to "Searching network..." and none of the telephone buttons work.

I have called our contact at the Vodafone shop. He reckons it has to do with the memory size of the sim cards. The new ones are 64k, my old one is 16k. He said is has nothing to do with the provider, the 3G network or the band (850, 1900 dual band). Tomorrow I will call him and he will reactivate my old sim. I really hope this is the solution. I will let you know what the result will be.

Other threads concerning this issue:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/185130-sim-cards-for-connect-nav.html and
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/129176-147-connect-nav-phone.html

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Symptoms just the same as I experienced (thread SIM Cards for Connect Nav+).

When I had the problem first in 2004, I too got explanation that memory size of SIM card was cause. However one would think all SIM cards sold now have the higher capacity. Is there an easy way of determining the memory size of a SIM card, I wonder?

Andy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there is (at least the Dutch sims). Check the number on the card it starts with 016M, 032M or 064M. The numbers represent the capacity (16kb, 32kb and 64kb).
My vodafone contact tried to activate my old 16k sim-card but he could not reactivate it. Probably because of some security policy where old deactivated cards cannot be activated again. He has some 32k sims stored in his attic. He will send me one by mail and then we will try that one.

Fingers crossed that the Alfa connect+ will work with 32k cards.

·
Premium Member
7,916 Posts
Yes there is (at least the Dutch sims). Check the number on the card it starts with 016M, 032M or 064M. The numbers represent the capacity (16kb, 32kb and 64kb).
My vodafone contact tried to activate my old 16k sim-card but he could not reactivate it. Probably because of some security policy where old deactivated cards cannot be activated again. He has some 32k sims stored in his attic. He will send me one by mail and then we will try that one.

Fingers crossed that the Alfa connect+ will work with 32k cards.
Always assuming memory size is actually the problem....;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, that's what the vodafona guy thinks. Volvos seem to have this problem too. Only trial and error will sort this issue :). I didn't find a satisfying answer on any forum, so I hope this will be the actual problem. That will save other Alfa owners a lot of time and trial&error.
For what's worth, I have tried the sim from my girlfriends mobile, that worked right away. It's a Debitel (KPN) pre-paid card. There is no size indication on the card, so I can't be sure that size is the problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Telephone call from my 156 GTA!

My connect telephone unit works again! :D I received a new, old sim card (32k size), called Vodafone to activate it, inserted the card in sim-slot and after a short period, the display showed the menu and I could make calls.
So for anyone having the problems described in the first post of this thread: check the size of your sim (not sure if every provider prints this on the card) and check the unit with an max 32k size card.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts