Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure about the rules, I've made a few posts over the last few years but forums are a bit of a mystery to me.
It's a gorgeous car, all up together, top end, rosso red, low mileage - it should be sold here to someone who will cherish it ...
Who should I direct this query at?
Thanks,
Mart

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think just post the details here - most others do :thumbup:

Look forward to hearing about it, sounds like a nice GTA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Events overtook me - moved house since the last post, so the Alfa had to take a back seat so to speak.
I really want to hang on to it but just don't have the space now, so I'll test the water.
I bought it in 2004 from what is now Simonstone in Bristol - their Chairman had grabbed the car for the first six months of it's life but I traded in my 166 in Dec 2004 and have had the GTA ever since.
It's done 56,678 miles, and been brilliantly reliable apart from a bad year in 2008 when first the cambelt went (there were mixed messages from Alfa at the time about mileage on a belt), then the engine control unit, and shortly afterwards the gearbox cracked - so top engine rebuild, new ECU and Alfa recon gearbox. Worth it though as it's all been trouble free since.
Most of the mileage on the car (40K of 56K) was done already by 2008, so the engine and gearbox still feel refreshingly new.
I've just had a thorough overhaul done by WAD in Wolverhampton - service, cambelt, aux belts, waterpump, various sensors/cables/brakes/suspension and lots of other minor stuff, meaning everything works (and should continue to work more important!), and they also undersealed it for me.
It really does drive like a dream - still so responsive (and sooo tempting to use the power...), and taught - handling, steering, ride all just spot on - I really don't want to sell it!!
The car is Rosso Red and apart from a couple of years it hadn't been garaged, and it was in lots of different shades and there were a few minor knocks and bruises, so I've also just had it prepped and resprayed - just the outside. It wasn't an expensive respray, cost me about £2K+VAT, but it's not bad, and a lot better than it was.
The leather does show it's age a bit (character I call it), and I haven't done anything about that, but no tears, just the usual creases. Not my area of expertise, but I think it would be improved by some TLC.
I'll put it up on Autotrader later, with lots of pics.
I've just moved house, and struggling for space right now, so I've asked a garage in Bristol if I can store it there, and if they can assist with viewings and test drives. Craig at 24/7 Autos in Bristol has agreed to do that, and to get his chap to valet it ready. He will have all the documents to close a sale, and I'm happy to be paid cash or bank transfer. Please remember he's not the owner or an Alfa expert - he is in to very fast cars - but Japanese. I've agreed a commission on the sale to cover his time, but I'll be on the end of a phone from my holidays in West Wales as needed for any negotiation.
I've thought a lot about price - some are on for silly money, but recently there's been almost nothing out there, especially low mileage. I hate the phrase "the car owes me" but I have put a lot in to this car recently, and I think £14,000 would be a fair price, and as we know, they do seem to be a good investment at the moment. I so wish I could keep it.
Maybe I'm optimistic - a car trader mate of the garage chap just offered me £12K for the Alfa and my 2005 Maser QP - I really felt a bit insulted!
But I'm just not sure I'd let it go for less - if I was in the market I think I'd snap it up.
Anyway, we'll see what happens.
If you're genuinely interested, we can have a chat and take it from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think it's a fair price and should not hang about for long at that price, but feel that it's not far off the mark of those advertised with double the miles. I'd missed what you felt was your expected price until I re-read the post, and thought by the way you were describing it, it was a £15k car. I assume it has 330's given it's a 2004 - Q2 diff?

Overall it sounds like it might be one of the nicest and sorted 156 GTA's on the market.

Good luck with the sale, hope it goes to a worthy home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's a fair price and should not hang about for long at that price, but feel that it's not far off the mark of those advertised with double the miles. I'd missed what you felt was your expected price until I re-read the post, and thought by the way you were describing it, it was a £15k car. I assume it has 330's given it's a 2004 - Q2 diff?

Overall it sounds like it might be one of the nicest and sorted 156 GTA's on the market.

Good luck with the sale, hope it goes to a worthy home.
Ah, thank you - bit embarrassed I don't know about Q2 diff and 330s but even more embarrassed that I spelt taut as "taught"!

·
Registered
202 Posts
It sounds great.

I'd be very tempted but I already have one...and I know that my wife would dismember me with a very blunt knife if I even considered bringing another one home. She didn't buy my acquiring soon-to-be-classics as a pension strategy when I last advanced it and I got that look only this afternoon as I looked mildly interested when a family friend offered me a Biturbo for free because it was cluttering up her garden :smokin:

GLWTS!

Peter

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ah, thank you - bit embarrassed I don't know about Q2 diff and 330s but even more embarrassed that I spelt taut as "taught"!
Take a picture of the front wheels showing the brakes, easy to tell if you have 330’s or 305’s due to space between the caliper and wheel - post it here and we can tell you.

I think it is safe to assume that as you had it from 2004 and that you have never asked for a Q2 to be fitted, it does not have one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts