Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old screen had a largish crack which I wanted sorted through my insurance. National windscreens came today with a new screen and rubber surround. When removing the rain sensor they are unsure whether it will fit the new plastic surround as the old one is offset and much smaller. The new screen fitting was like the rim of a jar top with a gap at the top?

They are contacting Pilkington to get advice but suspect it is a rare screen on the GTA. I did have a similar replacement back in 2007 without any such problems.

Anybody had a similar problem? did the standard 156's have a rain sensor? They could repair the old screen if need be but it does have various stone chips so would prefer it replaced.

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Love to hear what happens with your screen, I need a new one too (y)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Rain sensors were available from the facelifted interior versions of the 156. I have a rain sensor, in my 2.5. It's part of the rear-vision mirror and just glues on the windscreen, and the sensor itself is away from the window in a black plastic box. Or so I am lead to believe. I would not think the GTA windscreen would be any different to the standard 156's.

If your car has a self dimming mirror, maybe that makes things a little different.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Ordinary 156 windscreens and 156 GTA windscreens are the same, except possible differences in tint options which are probably not relevant to most owners of 17 year old cars.

As Mike mentions, rain sensing wipers were available on ordinary facelift interior 156's - both my 2002 V6 wagon and 2003 JTS have them. There are 2 sensors attached to the rear view mirror and related to the windscreen, the larger one mounted off to the side is the mist sensor for the climate control. The rain sensor is a small round sensor mounted in a separate part of the rear view mirror housing. This sensor is held against the inside of the windscreen by a small spring inside the housing.

The only difference in the windscreen for a car equipped with rain sensing wipers is the dark screen-printed surround will be shaped with a small circular hole where the sensor sits so it can sense the rain. This is obvious when looking at the outside of the screen in the top centre.

There are a couple of things to bear in mind when having a windscreen replaced, some/many aftermarket windscreens do not come with the mount for the rear view mirror. The fitter will remove the mount from your old screen and glue it to the new screen. They do this all day, every day but it can go wrong - I had a case where they couldn't get it to glue on properly and their solution was to get a genuine screen from Alfa with the rear view mirror mount already attached and install that. Problem solved.

The other issue is that the rain sensor is retained in the rear view mirror housing by a clip on cover. This needs to be removed during the screen replacement process and it seems the clips usually break. I had to get the screen replacement people to order a new cover after it fell out and landed on the centre console while I was driving along a week or so after the new screen was fitted. Of course there should be no issues at all in getting the correct screen and rubber surround for your car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply’s, I did have the front screen replaced in about 2007 which was from Pilkington and had the Alfa logo, and the rain sensor fitted ok then. The new screen, which I believe is from Pilkington has the circular plastic mount already attached to the screen but is different to the one removed from my car. Was like a small jam jar rim with with perhaps a good half inch gap at the bottom. The old one is much thinner and although it has a similar gap at the bottom, at the top there is another recess offset at about 1pm.

I suspect, although not sure, that there are two versions With mine being the earlier one. The guys did take pictures so hopefully Pilkington's might be able to sort.

Will update, hopefully on Thursday🤞

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news, windscreen is replaced and all appears ok. National windscreen ordered the correct screen for the GTA which arrived at their depo in Ipswich. Promptly returned as scratched and a further one arrived this afternoon. The screen does not have any plastic attachments, just the normal black surround with a U shape at the top where the sensor goes. All parts off the old screen were used to reassemble and appear ok.

IMG_5098.jpeg

They have left the part no so if you need a replacement quote the Euro Code/Supp Pt No. The fitter thinks 2034 is for a 156 and the remaining code identifies 156 GTA.

Hope that helps. I'm a happy bunny again!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Great news! Good to hear it's fitted and working :D. And thanks for posting the part number (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts