Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

As my 156 V6 is in the shop at the moment I can't take a look at that specific car to help me, so was wondering if someone else could help me instead.

What it is, is my Sportwagon TS is coming with me to work tomorrow, where me and the guys are going to gain access to the engine by POSSIBLY metal grinding through the bonnet around the heart shaped grill. This way ensures the safety of the grill itself along with the headlights and the other grill inserts.

This is going to be a last resort and ideally we'll gain access via a different route. But if we do need to go down the Metal Grinding path then I need some help.

Sadly, the bonnet catch appears to be completely busted and won't engage whatsoever.

Could someone please tell me how far back the grill goes under the bonnet??? The grill is attached to the underside of the bonnet obviously, but how far back does it go? If we use metal grinding to cut around the top of the bonnet I don't want to risk damaging the grill or anything.

Would my best bet literally be to cut a line straight through the bonnet half way up, or to cut it further down nearer the badge?

I don't want to damage the bonnet so badly that the car won't be driveable as I'm insured on it for a week and there's a full tank of gas in her, :lol:

Help and advice required please! And possibly a picture of the underside of the 156 bonnet if anyone has one.

Thanks,
Darren

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
try having someone pulling the release lever while you pull up on the bonnet, that may get it, or

try reaching up from under the car, see if you can reach the point where the cable meets the bonnet catch, or

try removing the release lever in the car and pulling on the cable with a pair of pliers, the cable may have streched or slipped and my need pulling more than the lever will allow

failing all that cut away at the bonnet, this pic shows how far back the grille goes, you can see the crease in the bonnet from the under side of the grille

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the same problem after mine was off the road for a while. I sprayed wd40 or similar under the grille. Normally it is tyhe safety catch and main catch that sieze. Might save you some hard graft and money.

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Like the new signature banner Darren :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts