Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.5 V6 seems to be doing ok, little tyre slip and the ABS isnt too sensitive.

Its sitting on 205/60 15s Budget tyres (from Kwik fit courtesy of the previous owner).

Its better than the 1.8 passat that my wife drives , but thats on quite sporty 215/55 16s.

How are other people doing?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Mine is fantastic in the snow (helps that it's a tractor though :lol:) ... got some barely legal 225x45x17 proxies on the front ...

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Mine is fantastic in the snow (helps that it's a tractor though :lol:) ... got some barely legal 225x45x17 proxies on the front ...
Must be making the Q2 work pretty hard :p

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Must be making the Q2 work pretty hard :p

No slipping at alll ... I dont even touch the thottle, just let the car pull itself along at idle (about 32mph in 5th :lol:)

S

·
0 Posts
Mine may not be a 156 but they are similar so think it counts. My 147 has been great in the snow :)

·
0 Posts
No issues in my V6 :thumbs: - had some fun in these recent conditions, had more 'trouble' from Kaz (mrs Jon) going :rolleyes: at me :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's the stopping I've generally had problems with, not traction.

In lots of slush I've had the ABS warning light coming on (sensors don't like being too cold?)
In really slippery conditions the system also seems to get confused when the wheels turn at different rates and the warning light also comes on.
So unless I've been very unlucky with my 2 156s I reckon the ABS is fine except in winter ! Although thinking about it I've also got the warning light when I had to drive with the spacesaver on which I guess is a different diameter to the other wheels....

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
DON'T use the brakes use the engine to slow you down ... then the brakes gently at the end to stop the car

·
Registered
87 Posts
My V6 has been a bit crappy so far in the snow/ice. I think the rear o/s brake has frozen on or something as it's locking up and creaking and slowing the car down a lot :confused:

ABS light perma-on as in other snow thread too which I guess is understandable.

Stoopid weather!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
mine was great untill i hit a mound of snow that the rear slid off, and let me continue sideways into a curb in the slowest crash iv ever had. no major damage, one bent alloy, and some bearing damage, but luckily i had another set of alloys that i was planning on putting on anyway.

just makes a horrible noise until they can get the parts to the garage. apart from that one minor misshap, its been great, leaving many cars struggling:lol: including x5's:confused: shows how "good" an off roader it is:lol:

·
0 Posts
my car has been fantastic in the snow, which is now sheet ice, my 18's and wider tyres have helped immensely a little twitch today on a roundabout when the back broke free but at 10mph the car didnt go too out of shape :)

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
my car has been fantastic in the snow, which is now sheet ice, my 18's and wider tyres have helped immensely a little twitch today on a roundabout when the back broke free but at 10mph the car didnt go too out of shape :)
Aren't skinny tyres more preferable in the snow? :confused:

Mine has been alright - 215/45/17 Eagle F1s with not much tread left aren't really ideal winter tyres :lol: but seem to be coping OK. I imagine the Q2 is doing its bit silently and dutifully as well - I've not been aware of it acting so much but don't suppose I would be really unless I was being daft and caning it around.

No spinning of the wheels and no ABS kicking in but then I've been driving it sensibly so these things shouldn't really be an issue in any car :)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I once put a set of gravel rally tyres on a Ford I had when I was younger, mainly used it for blasting about on the country tracks near my home. Those tyres were the worst tyres I've ever had in the snow, absolutely no grip, great for gravel but useless in the snow. I guess the tread pattern was not designed for snow and the tread was too hard.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My 156 1.8 is Ok in the snow but the wifes Seicento on 145x13 tyres is better. I think light weight and narrow tyres are the way to go.
Mark

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
i have no issues in the snow at all in my 2.0 156 sele', apart from a tiny slip whilst going up a fairly steep hill. found any "wandering" very easy to correct too.

17" wheels, with (i think) 215/45/17 tyres.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yeh no warning lights and no problems so-far:) My old 1.2 Punto was however the best snow car ive ever driven..great:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts