Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is very temperamental. It can show half full, empty with the light on, quarter full, empty and then back to half full all in one journey. Anyone else have this issue? Could it be the fuel tank float as opposed to the gauge?

G

·
0 Posts
The float that attaches to the sender unit on the fuel pump unit itself often leaks in fuel and the buoyance changes as a result... If it bothers you... take the unit out, seal the gap in the float and re-fit... Clean the connection for the sender unit while you are on........A PITA to make sure the seal on the fuel tank is spot on!....
Or do what most owners of Alfas' do : Laugh your a*se off at how much fuel you have and then cry when it's empty 5 minutes later...
Welcome to the joys and tribulations of Alfa ownership:thumbs:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem to have the same problem but difference with my 156 which i havent heard anyone mention on here is the needle doesnt work or move at all, no matter how much fuel I put in the car, clock an temp gauge are fine along with everythin else.
I dont use the car that much only put about £25 in it a wk but the only way I kan gauge it myself is by the light comin on. I just want that needle to MOVE!!!
Very frustating. HELP???

·
Registered
106 Posts
THey all do that sir....... I think they call it a characteristic of the car! My 1.8 ts and current 2.4 jtd both had same issue .

·
Registered
155 Posts
mine does the same, i smile when i go up hill as much my fuel increase and cry when going down hill as i have less fuel. So i make sure my trips are always up hill. :)

Live with it, enjoy it and just have a laugh.

·
Registered
164 Posts
From memory the issues only start when the tank is below half way. My advice is to use the half way point as time to fill up.

That should help!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was going to post the same question as I'm having the same variable fuel gauge issues in my newly acquired 156 - so now I have the answer!!! Why did I buy an Alfa - cos it's lovely so I'll just have to deal with it!!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you are into a bit of diy you could just buy a aftermarket gauge and sender unit.... 12V FUEL GAUGE & TANK SENDER UNIT KIT DIESEL / PETROL
Complete Kit & Sender Fixings & wiring Instructions.
£22.95 should be pretty easy to makeup a plate to make it fit somhow ;) (never looked at the hole in the tank but cant be that hard ;))

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
(never looked at the hole in the tank but cant be that hard ;))
The pump & sender are one unit, so may be tricky.

His issues are probably just a sticky float anyway.

Mine did it when I used Shell Optimax. As soon as I stopped using Optimax the gauge worked properly again..!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
maybe some fuel additive would lube it up a bit ;), I just added some fuel additive to mine...... maybe mine will not stick between full and 3 quaters now, its not bad and works ok other than that but you never know now that we use low sulfur diesel ect anyway since when has a bit of extra lube been a bad thing :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've only had my 156 for 2 weeks and filled up for the first time yesterday so I've just noticed this problem. The car was on flat ground and gauge only registered quarter full. Eventually the gauge did go to full. It does seem to be worth taking the connector plug off the sender/pump unit and cleaning/checking the crimped terminals as a first resort (also doesn't cost anything to do that) because the fact that the gauge eventually reads the correct level would suggest that the float is working. I've seen quite a few comments about different readings when parked on slopes but that would be the norm in any car since the file level will alter relative to the angle of the tank so that shouldn't be a concern to anyone. I will report back my findings after cleaning the connector today.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I just look at the clock instead when I need to know how much fuel there is as its more accurate.

Sent on the back of an AA truck Using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts