Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving into work I noticed my fuel gauge dropping far too quickly (well more quickly than normal), over about 10 miles it dropped from just under half full to empty ... obviously I looked out of the back to see if I was dropping diesel everywhere, but no ... so I nursed the car to the nearest petrol station and filled up (as I know the gauges are notoriously inaccurate) ... upon starting the engine the gauge got up to about half full and then dropped back to empty again almost immediately, I stopped and started the car once more and it just stayed on empty ...

... I'm going to give Smaky's suggestion a go (as described in http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...-gauge-stopped-working-anyone-know-a-fix.html) ... are there any other things it could be??

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The float inside the petrol tank has been known to be faulty.

Well, not the float itself but the part it connects to. Gets corroded and mis-reads.

Also, if you park on a slight slope, this can often confuse it. Mine takes a mile or two to settle down after i parked on slope.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it works again now ... :confused: :confused: ... when I left work on friday the fuel gauge moved slightly when I started the engine ... then over the course of 30 miles it slowly crept up to being full again ... and now it magically works!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
:lol: :lol:
Well it works again now ... :confused: :confused: ... when I left work on friday the fuel gauge moved slightly when I started the engine ... then over the course of 30 miles it slowly crept up to being full again ... and now it magically works!!!
:lol: mines been doing that for the last four years:lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ... bloody alfa's :lol: :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts