Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi as the the title says took me ages to prize my door open last night after work and the same again this morning, any simple ways i can prevent the door handles from freezing?

Had to use de-icer around one door and on the handle and persevere for 20 mins!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
MIne does that. not that easy but the back doors normally open, so i climb over and turn the engine on and leave it for 5 minutes and it soon melts away.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MIne does that. not that easy but the back doors normally open, so i climb over and turn the engine on and leave it for 5 minutes and it soon melts away.
Yeah my rear doors seemed well and trully stuck last night and didn't want to be too aggressive with them as i assume the rear handles are not as robust as the front!!

Vaseline.
Cheers, gonna go and give that a try now. Got the option of my colleagues tub of Vaseline that he has in his draw... (not even going to ask!) or one of the girls' "lipseal". Think i'm gonna go with the lipseal as it has a "pritt stick" style applicator!!!!:lol:

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
A can of Silicone spray lube will stop it, but not until the ice has gone.

Also use it on the door rubbers.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Rightly or wrongly, I pour a little water from a kettle over the button till I hear the ice give way and then spray de-icer over the button. Doesn't prevent freezing, but gets the door open in a few seconds.

G

·
Had this today - first time I have used the car for a coupla days - opened the back, leaned over to open the front - did I look good at the shops or what :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Doesn't silicone freeze? Or am I just getting confused, as its easily done for me :rolleyes:
Mine haven't frozen or got stuck in since using it.

·
Administrator
47,068 Posts
Silicone spray is excellent on door seals. My rears, which I hadn't done, were completely immovable. The fronts, which I had, didn't stick even slightly.
I spray WD40 into the door lock itself, as it's a water-dispersant as well as a lubricant, and there's no issue there with rotting rubber.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My lock has been freezing up, I've been pouring hot water onto it to get in. I'm just leaving the car unlocked whilst parked at work, saves on the aggro.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
my locks don't freeze and the door doesn't stick just the button freezes have to really fight to push it in 1st off, not what you want to be doing at 5am lol

G

·
The door handles of my 147 freeze, I take a small bottle of hot water to the car with me when I leave work and just pour it over the handle.

·
Administrator
47,068 Posts
It's good in the short term. For the next tme you need to get in, it fills the lock with water, just waiting to freeze again! :D

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
It's good in the short term. For the next tme you need to get in, it fills the lock with water, just waiting to freeze again! :D
Exactly!!
It will be a never ending cycle...

Once you have melted it, pump it full of WD40 to drive the water out.

G

·
I must admit, I didn't think of that bit!!

It no big deal though, and I'd rather use hot water than have silicone spray all over the place.

It appears that there are many ideas on how to cure this issue.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
WD40 has done the trick on mine. I have not used the car since Saturday so thought I ought to scrape the 8 or so inches of snow off it this afternoon. No problems opening the doors at all. Started OK as well. It even warned me that there may be ice on the road.........

1 - 20 of 41 Posts