Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 V6 sportwagon and the front suspension is noisy over bumps when cold. This is still tolerable but lately it's been making noise when it's hot at low speeds (+/- 10 - 20km/h) and you don't even need a bump to hear it.

I will probably have to redo the front suspension but is a bit clueless at the moment where to start. It doesn't make the noise all the time so if you would take it in, have a mechanic listen to it, murphy will have it be quiet. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
describe the noise. could be lower control arms or upper, or even both.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Numen,

The lower control arms would be my bet. Ideally the noise will at first be squeaky over bumps, then always and thereafter elevate to a knocking sound. You can also have the upper control arms checked but they are not as prone to wear as the lower arms and also the noise from upper control arms in not bearable.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a squeaky noise but more a knocking to cracking noise if that make sense.
Where can I have it checked out?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Shocks ?
Also, there may be play on the ARB bushes or drop links, that also causes some strange sounds.
Squeely noise, my bet is Shcks....
Control arms would cause knocking noises

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll wait it out until it's "always" there and then take it somewhere to have a look at.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Knocking to crunching/cracking sounds like uppers but have them checked out first. My 156 did that at one time four years ago but the sound went away. There were no Alfa dealers where I lived so I never got around to taking the car to have it replaced and in the meantime it just vanished!:confused:

K

·
0 Posts
Eric is correct . I have exact same thing in my sport wagon. Its the ar bushes. Not the links. Quick way to fix is to put shims inbetween bush and body ( car we talking about) . Its only when cold it knocks around .

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts