Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to upgrade from 284mm front brakes to 305mm ones? What parts would I need - obviously bigger discs and calipers. Are any other Alfa model parts (eg GT or 159 parts) which are compatible? And does anything else need changing such as shocks? Many thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I made this upgrade, with Alfa Mito 4-Pot Brembo calipers - but you will need at least 17'' GTA wheels with a 35ET in order to clear the calipers.
STD brakes are excellent in a 156, specially with good disks and pads. I only upgraded because I use mine regularly at trackdays.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Get some decent grease on the sliders, make sure you have new fluid properly bled, braided hoses and some ferodo ds sport pads and you'll stop well enough!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
besides what Egon said you can get pads with various friction coefficients, so look for a set with higher friction

the rear pads on my giulietta have an FF rating (factory pads). The first letter is for low temperature firction (below 100°C roughly), the latter for high temperature performance.

here's a table

Friction Coefficient Code
Up to 0.15 µ C
Over 0.15 µ up to 0.25 µ D
Over 0.25 µ up to 0.35 µ E
Over 0.35 µ up to 0.45 µ F
Over 0.45 µ up to 0.55 µ G
Over 0.55 µ H

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
How difficult is it to upgrade from 284mm front brakes to 305mm ones? What parts would I need - obviously bigger discs and calipers. Are any other Alfa model parts (eg GT or 159 parts) which are compatible? And does anything else need changing such as shocks? Many thanks for any advice.
If you want to fit the 147/156 GTA/GT 3.2/Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo 305 Brembos, then your ll need to change the uprights to GTA/GT 3.2 uprights.

You can get brackets for the Mito ones, so its a much easier job to fit them, its a real ball ache changing the uprights.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
You can get brackets for the Mito ones, so its a much easier job to fit them
The MiTo/Punto Brembos bolt straight on to a std 147/156/GT, no bracket needed.

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
If you want to fit the 147/156 GTA/GT 3.2/Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo 305 Brembos, then your ll need to change the uprights to GTA/GT 3.2 uprights.

You can get brackets for the Mito ones, so its a much easier job to fit them, its a real ball ache changing the uprights.
If you take the factory 4pot calipers & brackets off the Mito, they bolt straight onto the 147/156/GT hub carriers. If you're buying new, the calipers come with brackets & bolts. If you're buying used, make sure you get the brackets. Pics here of everything you need, other than a set of pads and some 5x98 305x28mm discs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182045826380

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Brackets are needed, as Pud says :

If you take the factory 4pot calipers & brackets off the Mito, they bolt straight onto the 147/156/GT hub carriers. If you're buying new, the calipers come with brackets & bolts. If you're buying used, make sure you get the brackets. Pics here of everything you need, other than a set of pads and some 5x98 305x28mm discs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182045826380
Yeah, I meant the factory ones, researched it all before, its an easy mod . . . the hard part is finding the callipers . . . and when you do the price is often stupid.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Brackets are needed, as Pud says :

Yeah, I meant the factory ones, researched it all before, its an easy mod . . . the hard part is finding the callipers . . . and when you do the price is often stupid.
We could have both been clearer.

The brackets that come with the MiTo/Punto calipers are obviously needed.
Without the bracket they are just an off-the-shelf radial mount Brembo caliper.

I paid £500 for my Brembo kit back in 2003, which was a 50% forum special discount.
But despite all the talk from people saying they wanted them, there were very few takers (low single figures!)

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Agreed, we could have been :)

OMG just seen your car David C, no Alfa anymore ? ! Youre one of the longest serving, most prolific posting members.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
OMG just seen your car David C, no Alfa anymore ? !
Yep, got it in 2013. Fancied a change and a nice V6. Was looking at GTV V6 for a while but needed slightly more practicality than a GTV can provide. Also wanted another paddle-shift.
You can fit a surprising amount in the boot of a TT, even more with the rear seats folded and it does sound good (some on here may disagree, but they'd be wrong!! :lol: ).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys, does anybody that has converted to MiTo 4 pots in a 156 know if there are changes to the brake lines also?

- I got one set of calipers (MiTo ones) and disks at hand
- One set of 295 x 10 for the rears that are waiting for the rear caliper brackets to be machined.

The thing is that I want to do them all in one go, and the brake lines may be the missing part.

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
Hey guys, does anybody that has converted to MiTo 4 pots in a 156 know if there are changes to the brake lines also?

- I got one set of calipers (MiTo ones) and disks at hand
- One set of 295 x 10 for the rears that are waiting for the rear caliper brackets to be machined.

The thing is that I want to do them all in one go, and the brake lines may be the missing part.
No need to change brake lines, they are the same.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I upgraded calipers on my 02 156 2.0TS with 4 pot Brembo calipers and 305 rotors from 166, I believe they are quite a bit cheaper than a set from 159 or Mito. A set of 305 rotors from 166 go on the 156 without any modification, but the calipers need an adaptor bracket which looks something like this

My mechanic order it from a local machine shop if I remember correctly it cost around 65USD(labor is cheap where I live:rofl:) I don't know all the exact details because I didn't order this kit directly, it was taken off another 156TS when the owner converted it to a GTA. I'm visiting my mechanic tomorrow, so I'll ask him the details.
Here are images of my car

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
A set of 305 rotors from 166 go on the 156 without any modification
166 discs are 310mm and they don't fit straight to a 156 because the PCD is different.

·
Registered
203 Posts
166 discs are 310mm and they don't fit straight to a 156 because the PCD is different.
Thanks for correcting me, my mistake, the discs are 310mm. The discs on my car have 2 sets of holes, so I assume it came that way.

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Thanks for correcting me, my mistake, the discs are 310mm. The discs on my car have 2 sets of holes, so I assume it came that way.
Someone had the discs drilled with an extra set of holes at the 5x98 PCD.
The 166 uses a 5x108 PCD.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I upgraded calipers on my 02 156 2.0TS with 4 pot Brembo calipers and 305 rotors from 166, I believe they are quite a bit cheaper than a set from 159 or Mito. A set of 305 rotors from 166 go on the 156 without any modification, but the calipers need an adaptor bracket which looks something like this

My mechanic order it from a local machine shop if I remember correctly it cost around 65USD(labor is cheap where I live:rofl:) I don't know all the exact details because I didn't order this kit directly, it was taken off another 156TS when the owner converted it to a GTA. I'm visiting my mechanic tomorrow, so I'll ask him the details.
Here are images of my car
Nice work.

Theres a whole thread about fitting the 166 calipers on the forum.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts