Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be tackling the replacement of the front fixed brake pipes on the 156 tomorrow, starting with the driver's side, as there is some corrosion on the pipes. They are original and are still fine, but they are starting to get pitted on the surface. I have been keeping an eye on these for a while with a torch and mirror as per the "Head's up" thread, they were lightly sanded and greased when I got the car and I've kept up with that til now. But I think it is time to replace them, they are original and the car is over 11 years old. Obviously it would be an absolute 'mare of a job to get it to follow the original factory route, so where is the best place to route the new brake pipe?

From the join with the flexi I would go under the inner wing in the normal location, but then there are two choices I'm considering. First is up the inner wing to the top of the engine bay, and then parrallel to the scuttle panel along the bulkhead into the ABS unit. Alternatively I could run the pipe along the bulk head parrallel to the steering rack and then up from behind the gearbox/battery area and into the ABS unit.

Loads of people must have done this so far, where did you route the pipes?

Also, looking at the ABS module from the front of the car, the left-most two brake pipes that come out of the top of the module are the brake pipes for the front brakes. The right-most two that come out of the top are both from the master cylinder, and the two that come out of the side are to the rear brakes. The labels do seem to suggest that but I wanted to make sure..

Cheers :)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
dan, i will double check which is the front drivers side route into the abs unit in the morning, i made that mistake. remember?

my brake pipe is just routed straight up the inside of the wing, then just along the bulkhead behind the engine. there are a couple of clips along that route you can use to hold the pipe for MOT purposes.

i would offer a hand, but i have plans for tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
are you buying a hose form Alfa or making a hose?

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers all - I made a pipe and have fitted it, not re-filled with brake fluid yet as I think I am going to do the passenger side tomorrow as well just as a precaution. I took it under the wing, then straight up past the alternator where I secured it at the top with a bit of garden hose (to protect from chafing) then a cable tie to some other pipes maybe six inches below the bonnet line. Then from there straight across the bulkhead into the ABS unit, but I managed to get it behind the relays on the bulkhead and also behind the two fluid reservoirs, and then into the original clip that holds the 4 pipes that come out of the top of the ABS module. Its pretty secure, just needs to be held where it comes under the wing, not sure whether to use the original clip there, but that is the one that seems to have been the cause of the corrosion problems the 156 suffers from.. I specifically took my brake pipe out of that clip when I bought the car, cleaned up the surface corrosion and then coated the pipe in grease to stop it getting worse. It has got a little worse, there is some light pitting but I have sawn the original pipe in half across the worst point and the pitting only accounts for maybe a quarter of the thickness of the brake pipe, it would probably have been good for a few more years if I'd cleaned it up and coated it in Hammerite..

Actually, thats a good question, is it acceptable to paint the fixed brake pipes? Or would the MOT tester throw a fit?

K

·
0 Posts
Hey Pud,

What did you do to secure it in the end? I've just ripped the front drivers side one out of my 146 and it was a ******** so I will be re-routing. Any pics? :)

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No pics, sorry that was ages ago, don't even own the car now. :lol:

I cut off a couple of 6" sections of garden hose, slit it up the side with a stanley knife, slipped it over the brake pipe, and then cable tied it to other brackets/hoses to hold it still. Didn't do the passenger side in the end, looked too much like hard work :)

K

·
0 Posts
No pics, sorry that was ages ago, don't even own the car now. :lol:

I cut off a couple of 6" sections of garden hose, slit it up the side with a stanley knife, slipped it over the brake pipe, and then cable tied it to other brackets/hoses to hold it still. Didn't do the passenger side in the end, looked too much like hard work :)
OK cheers. Mine split right under the wheel arch. I guess I'll be inspecting the passenger side too :cry:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Definitely check the one across the bulkhead. Mine split luckily whilst it was at my local indie but you couldn't see the corrosion as it was the back of the pipe. If it hadn't of split whilst it was at the garage, i'd have been in big trouble.
It's a pig to get at, but worth the effort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts