Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 156 on a lift today and was suprised at the amount of surface rust was on the floorpan(about 1/3 rd), the underseal Alfa put on these cars must be applied very thinly. Its not a problem at the moment and just needs the surface rust removing and underseal re applied,never really seen a car with underseal applied so thinly :surprised:

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
At the recent service by Alfaworkshop of my 156 SW, they reported on slight rust on the floorpan :eek:

Today I got the car up on a mate's ramp and got to work with wire brush, wire brush attachment on a cordless drill and various scraping implements. I had a really thorough inspection poking and scraping at anything looking remotely dodgy.
Thankfully, seems like just patches of surface rust (I hope there are no nasty surprises under the carpets!). Cleaned away old underseal around affected areas and abraded rust back to clean metal where possible before liberal application of Hammerite Kurust.
Then (after the requisite 3 hours) sprayed waxoil underseal over pretty much the entire floorpan.
Tomorrow I'll finish up with 3M stone chip shield.
Don't want to tempt fate, but I'm hoping this work will be the stitch in time that saves nine and keeps my trusty Busso wagon on the road for many years to come. :)

·
Registered
30,403 Posts
I hope there are no nasty surprises under the carpets!
It will be worth lifting the carpet and having a look under.
Very easy to take the seats out then with the door plates up the carpets lift easily.
With the centre console still in place you can lift them enough to get a good look.
There are the felt type sound proofing stuck under the carpets which can hold moisture and th bitumen sheets stuck to the floor.

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
It will be worth lifting the carpet and having a look under.
Very easy to take the seats out then with the door plates up the carpets lift easily.
With the centre console still in place you can lift them enough to get a good look.
There are the felt type sound proofing stuck under the carpets which can hold moisture and th bitumen sheets stuck to the floor.
Sound advice, I'm sure.
I'll try this as soon as I get another spare hour or two :)

I'll then sleep even more soundly ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do lift the carpets, I recently did mine and was amazed at how much surface rust there was under there.
Pretty much no rust on the underside of the vehicle but a significant amount under the carpet all along the N/S, O/S was perfect though

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
This morning I took the seats out and lifted the carpets.
I didn’t want to mess with the wiring to the seats, so did one side at a time, unbolting the front seat and leaning it over the other one while I had a good poke and scrape around underneath.
Under the carpet was a thick layer of felt type insulating material sitting in a rubberised fitted ‘tray’.
Lifting the ‘tray’ revealed another layer of felt type insulation under which was the floorpan covered in thick bitumen sheets.
On the passenger side (which I did first) the front was fine. In the back I saw some patches where the bitumen had crystalised and become brittle. This worried me but when I removed the brittle bitumen in these areas the underneath was dry and sound with a clean painted surface.
Next the drivers side. Front was fine again. In the back I found brittle bitumen patches to the back of the rear footwell. Poking and scraping here revealed the little draining tabs which I’d given particular attention to on the outside (underside) as they’d been a bit rusty. There was some minor rust around two of these tabs to which I applied some Kurust. Put everything back together, having had a really good hoover all round while the seats were out. Washed the car and am now feeling content and reassured. :)

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
Think yourself lucky, many 156's have either been scrapped or needed welding because of rust in the floor.
Yes, I'm counting my blessings :yes:

The condition this car was in when I bought it 5.5 years ago suggested it had been well looked after.
I've done minimal mileage and doted on this car since that time.
The advice (and countless tales of woe :() from trusted members here combined with my wish to keep this car until it becomes a "classic" is the reason I've devoted a day or so's hard work to checking and treating rust before it's too late :)

·
Registered
40,269 Posts
The bitumin stuff in the rear footwells doesn't follow the contours of the floor very well.

Water gets into the cutouts, and sits in the gaps until you get rust, so you may be better off removing it.

Me and my brother spent a whole weekend welding up my last 156, which was particularly bad. Not only were the rear footwells rusty it had rust on the inner sills, spare wheel well and the front inner wings.

Considering it was only 8 years old at the time I was pretty dissapointed, and it put me off Alfa's for a while.

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
Yes, thanks for the advice!
I know exactly what you mean- I'm aware that without completely removing all internal coverings I can't be absolutely sure (hence the fingers crossed!)
I took a view that removing all that bitumen on no evidence would be a LOT of work. My expert highly experienced mechanic friend thought that it all looked remarkably healthy.
I'll keep a regular eye and hope to catch any future issues in good time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The bitumin stuff in the rear footwells doesn't follow the contours of the floor very well.

Water gets into the cutouts, and sits in the gaps until you get rust, so you may be better off removing it.

Me and my brother spent a whole weekend welding up my last 156, which was particularly bad. Not only were the rear footwells rusty it had rust on the inner sills, spare wheel well and the front inner wings.

Considering it was only 8 years old at the time I was pretty dissapointed, and it put me off Alfa's for a while.
:Hi My 156 was 14 years old when I sold it I owned it for 8 years total and waxoyled the arches every year, sold it with no rust or welding was solid. a great car with revvy 2.0ltr twinny, much missed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.