Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 that I owned and cherished from new in 2002 - caught fire due to fitting tow bar electrics without a relay by pass - so be warned

I bought the kit from Towsure and a mechanic fitted it.

No warning was provided that a relay by pass should be fitted - I actually know now that it protects the bulb warning system - which is where the fire started.

Car written off :cry:

M

·
0 Posts
I bought a tow bar from basal, and bought basal wire kit.

Any mechanic should know it requires at least a universal relay kit but surprised it would start fire (fuse should blow as it's rated to protect wire unless they upped fuse as well :)

I'd be taking it up with garage ;)

M

·
0 Posts
I'd say, as fuse rated for size of wires that fire wasn't caused by no relay (unless they upped the fuse) that it was most likely caused by a bad connection as that would either cause sparks or try and draw the electric through a tiny contact patch a lot smaller than wire which would cause heat.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am glad I read this thread.

I have just fitted a towbar to my 156 and done it myself. I have fitted around 20 towbars to various cars in my time and never used a bypass kit. I too purchase from Towsure and all you get in the kit is a standard single electric kit.

I think I might wire in in-line fuses to all the live wires in the car now......

M

·
0 Posts
Buy a universal relay kit as surely your indicators will flash strangely etc without.

Also the car has fuses of correct rating to protect wires of the size in the light systems (this guys fuse didn't blow) which shows an inline fuse would do nothing unless a lot lower rating, it's sure to be a bad connection causing sparks and excess heat :)

M

·
0 Posts
I'm glad I went specific wiring kit, has a relay, fuse, a plug that just attaches into loom plugs then only 2 connections up front a power with inline fuse and one other on headlight switch wire.

Although bosal say LHD only it's a straight fit ;) yes you pay a bit more than universal kit but I think worth it for to avoid dodgy wire connections.

Alternative (as connection block goes in above boot lining) you could grab both connections from a scrapper and use to make connect and solder up a small loom so your not relying on manually connecting into wires.

John

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts