Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Quick question. Did we ever get facelif 156 in south africa with selespeed? Thinking of getting back into selespeed life. Thats right you heard me i want to get back into selespeed hehe.

Fortunately i only have fond memories of selespeed with 2 cars already.

Im looking for a hobby car. Something to tinker with and make nice again until im happy with it but not sure if im keen to get back into the ageing interior of the prefacelift. If we didnt get facelifts then so be it i suppose haha ill get the preface and just do my best to make the interior shiny and new.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Dom as far as I know we never got the facelift Selespeed, either in 156 or 147

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah that sucks. Oh well then pre facelift it is then haha

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Why not go for a pre-facelift Selespeed 147. At least then you get a slightly more modern interior (proper climate control, TC etc etc)

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I like that idea, a 147 Selespeed can be had for bread and milk money as well, although you won't get a great car in that case.... nothing you could not fix or get fixed though

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Are there Phase 2 156 Selespeeds out there?

That would be the pick of the bunch in my opinion. Still have the nicer (to my eye) early exterior, but you get the better late interior.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Are there Phase 2 156 Selespeeds out there?

That would be the pick of the bunch in my opinion. Still have the nicer (to my eye) early exterior, but you get the better late interior.
I know of a guy that might still have his ph2. Synchro's on third are shot though, car was in decent condition otherwise the last time I saw it.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
There is a BMW guy on car forum (I stand corrected), that took a selespeed, dropped the box and re-did the wiring "correctly" (his words not mine) and he claims it has fixed all the issues.
I would love to have a 147 sele. Honestly, I'd take it over the manual any day (I drive in traffic a lot).

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'd take a facelift 147 Selespeed if they were available. The JTD clutch in traffic is a pain in the rear. AR and Fiat really need to offer more auto's/DCT and AMT/Selespeed/Duologic's. I see even Suzuki offers an AMT (Magnetti Marelli components) on their cheap as chips Celerio.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A phase 2 156 selespeed i would grab in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest im a little tired of seeing the inside of a 147/GT. Besides im more of a sedan man haha

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a BMW guy on car forum (I stand corrected), that took a selespeed, dropped the box and re-did the wiring "correctly" (his words not mine) and he claims it has fixed all the issues.
I would love to have a 147 sele. Honestly, I'd take it over the manual any day (I drive in traffic a lot).
Yeah there is a big plug. If you cut off the plug and solder the wires instead then usually that solves a lot of issues

Reactions: scrgdk

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know of a guy that might still have his ph2. Synchro's on third are shot though, car was in decent condition otherwise the last time I saw it.
Please ask if he still has it and if he would have it for sale at some stage?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe we had facelift selespeed 156s
in sa. If you mean the one with a gear lever that looks like a joy stick.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I believe we had facelift selespeed 156s
in sa. If you mean the one with a gear lever that looks like a joy stick.
Yes, OK :smoker: the selespeed gear lever does look a bit more joystick-ish that the manual lever :cheese:

The According to production timeline Facelift 156's was really only supposed to come out with the JTS and not TS, but yet we have plenty TS facelifts - we never received any 156 JTS motors in SA (not referring to the 159 GM block). So chances are a Facelift Selespeed or two could have made it in TS form to SA :xmas: - Hen's teeth if any...

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I thought your Brerrrrrrrrra is the 'tinker' toy?

This is partially the reason I sold the GQV, I am going to get a family SUV and now I'm in search of a worthy Alfa 'tinker' toy.

I've had a look at quite a few, well more than a few 156's this month, facelift and prefacelift and I must warn you, there is **** out there. Then again there are gems to be had, but most times finance won't finance the gems because of their equity/value, if like me you refuse to spend your cash from your bank on a car and always finance it, then you'll most probably have to put a dep down, sometimes up to 40%.

Get that black 156 facelift for R60000, it looks in great condition. I've expanded my horizons and included a GT 3.2 into my search, a 147 GTA is out of reach at this stage and 156's I find hard to finance without deposits. I'm looking for a clean GT 3.2, mileage is not my concern, as long as the car was maintained as prescribed and is as Eric puts it 'bread and milk' money...

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha yes the brera is my tinker toy but damn its a expensive tinker toy and difficult to work on also so im just doing this and that still on it then im done. Just going to drive and enjoy it doesnt matter how fast or slow it is anymore.

The 156 market is really a mixed bunch i know. Sadly they and the 147s are mostly vrot now because guys with opel kadett money can buy them but not maintain them.

This time though im not looking for something fast. Just selespeed. Im also not particularly looking for a gem because in my opinion none are gems anymore. Some of them just look pretty from the outside but underneath all sorts of issues lie in wait to strike. So im looking for one on the cheap. Ill probably end up snatching one on auction as they are cheap there. Then what im pretty much planning for is a big stripdown and semi restore.

I want to make the interior 100% again meaning ill end up probably re doing all the leather bits and throwing some sound deadner and cleaning everything material properly outside the car.

Probably repaint the car.

Replace all bearings and bushes.

Replace shocks.

Replace engine bearings and rings and timing belt set.

Do a nice sound system. And throw a light tint.

Replace all fluids and service selespeed system.

And whatever else i forgot to make it look good and run mechanically solid

I just want a nice 4 door car thats auto but that is also "my own" if you get what im saying. I always have a attachment to things ive had my own hands on. Reason being is the brera is a no go for passangers. My work van is a 2 and a half seater so no and my wifes car is a c3 citroen. Nice car but doesnt really feel special when you cruise with friends and so on. So the 156 is nice in the sense that im tired of changing gears. Makes me feel special. Have space for my buddys when we go out and a civilised car to use for my company when i dont have or feel like taking the soul sucking van.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found a 156 Selespeed phase 2, can you believe it! only problem is that its in Cape Town. the car seems very nice and apparently its been serviced by dev cloete. do you cape guys know if hes alright?

Reactions: Guili
1 - 20 of 21 Posts