Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Bought an '01 156 2.0TS Sportwagon (manual) on Tue evening.:) Drove 20miles home, all well but speedo not working. Started ok the next morning for a 10 mile round trip. As I turned into the drive the car died. It started ok again later that afternoon. Took it through the carwash and switched the engine off. Radio was on (Sony aftermarket). Came to the end of the carwash and the battery was dead (dash lights on but not enough juice to turn it over). After sitting for 15mins there was a bit more life in the battery - almost enough to turn over (slowly) and it fired up with a bump start.:)
Drove for approx 3 miles - toe-ing & heeling at junctions to keep the revs up. Came to a mini roundabout and the power died so pulled over with clutch in - the engine stayed on? but was at 1000rpm and would not take any more throttle (limp mode?) It eventually started to rev a bit (sporadically) as I applied throttle. It almost sounded as though there was dirty fuel coming up from the fuel tank. I limped to a hill and eventually it died. Waited a bit, checked all fuses (all ok), then bumped it and managed to drive the 3 miles home and it was ok. The airbag and engine light were now on. As I pulled into the street it went back to 1000rpm max, luckily I managed to get it home onto the drive. :confused:

Question - I've read on the forum about Rev counters causing problems...
Could this electrical gremlin be related to the non working Speedo? (As I turn the ignition on with a flattish battery the speedo needle does jump).
Could it be an alternator problem? (The battery looks fairly new).
Is there any point in trying to reset the ECU?

Would appreciate any help / advice.

Thanks.:)

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
First job would be to charge the battery properly (with a proper charger, not a tiny trickle charger).

The speedo signal comes via the ABS ECU.

Do all the warning lights come on when the ignition is first turned on?
It wouldn't be the first time that warning lights were removed to hide a known fault prior to sale...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David,
Bought a proper charger and its charging the battery just now. As far as I recall all the warning lights came on - ABS / airbag / oil / key code etc. I'll double check when I reconnect the battery....

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
It could be the ever-popular crank sensor causing your stalling problems, along with maybe a dodgy battery - appearances can be deceptive. You probably need to check the output from the battery with a proper tester - you want about 14 volts when the engine is running.....

G

·
0 Posts
The clocks are easy enough to remove.... check the multi-plug connection to the rear , It's probably loose;)
If it is, then all manner of electrical issues rear their ugly heads, including dead battery effects.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the various suggestions......:)

Having charged the battery I connected it last night and reset the ECU. The car started and drove well:)......However the Engine management light was on, as was a faulty bulb light. The speedo worked but would not go above 50mph, and when I dipped the clutch the speedo dropped to zero (it almost behaved like a rev counter). Left the car overnight and it started perfectly today at lunchtime. No warning lights on at all:). Took it for a run to check everything. Speedo was working. BUT when I turn the lights on the bulb warning light is on and as a result of turning the lights on the Speedo stops working!!! The needle fluctuates and goes up to 20 / 30 mph.
I have checked the lights and the O/S sidelight is not working. What relation would this have to the Speedo? :confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Grounding issue perhaps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed the bulb so all warning lights now out. However..............the speedo is still a bit off. Anytime the lights go on it dies. Switch off the lights and it comes to life - rather erratically......but doesn't really give an accurate reading.
Booked into Edward Labinjoh on Wednesday morning.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Fluctuating Speedo

Fixed the bulb so all warning lights now out. However..............the speedo is still a bit off. Anytime the lights go on it dies. Switch off the lights and it comes to life - rather erratically......but doesn't really give an accurate reading.
Booked into Edward Labinjoh on Wednesday morning.
Interested in the answer.

ON the way to work this AM, the speedo dropped to zero when I put on dip beam. Then fluctuated between zero and 40 mph. It did this a few times and after turning off the lights, all was well. After a few miles all seemed OK again when I tried the lights. All very odd - any ideas?

·
Registered
77 Posts
i have had the same problem. i suspected a grounding problem, causing a fluctuation to the speedo.

still occurs some times, and one can see it drop slightly when lights on.

interested in solutions

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Alternator

I had the same issue with the speedo dropping as this is very voltage sensative and the first thing to stop, then ecu goes haywire.

Measure the voltage accross the battery terminals I bet it is only running around 12v when running, should be 13.5v or so.

Mine was 7 volts and the engine was still running although all other electrical items were dead.

Luckily mine was a bad connection - possibly grounding problem as suggested earlier. I had no battery warning light either?

Seems to me like pushing the clutch in causes the engine to loose momentum which causes the alternator to spin slower causing the voltage to drop further. Letting it back out the engine gains the cars inertia from moving to make the alternator spin that little bit more giving just enough voltage for the speedo to start up again.

Reactions: dgmayhead

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I've just had a new alternator, and the battery is just 18 months old. The car ran fine - no warnings, I will check connections later today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
speedometer not working

if the speedometer on the Alfa 156 stops to work or become erratic then check the alternator. it's broken or on its way to brake.
I have a selespeed and manual both did exactly the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts